Chapter 2

Jennie and Tessa are waiting for us outside the doors to the summer room, my wedding planner looking pleased, Jennie looking tipsy. I maintain my steady breathing, feeling my dad getting all tense next to me. I flick a glance up to him, but he keeps his attention directed firmly forward.

'Ready?' Jennie asks, bending down to spread my dress neatly. 'I can't believe you're not wearing a veil. '

'Oh no,' Tessa pipes up. 'This dress doesn't need a veil. ' She starts flicking my hair and brushing at my cheeks.

'Lisa wants to see my face. ' I say quietly, clenching my eyes shut. The enormity of what I'm about to do is suddenly overwhelming me. This is it. I can feel my chest expanding, and I'm beginning to shake. I've known this woman for only two months, and now I'm walking down the aisle to her. How did this happen?

The doors to the summer room open, music immediately drifting to my ears. Only now when I'm hearing Etta James' At Last does it occur to me I didn't even pick the music for my wedding. I've done absolutely nothing. I have no idea what's happening or when. My eyes are flying all over the floor at my feet and I'm feeling tearful all of a sudden.

I feel my dad nudge me with his elbow, and I glance up at him, finding soft, reassuring eyes. He cocks his head to the side on a small smile, and I follow his indication to look, clenching my lips together and slowly turning my eyes. Damn, I've done so well. I know all heads are turned in my direction, but it's the woman at the end of the aisle who holds my attention. Her hands are joined and draped loosely in front of her white, three piece wedding suit, her body turned fully towards me. Her lips part and she shakes her head a little, never taking her eyes from mine. Dad nudges me again, and I let out the breath I've been holding. I see Jennie walking in front of us, but I can't make my legs work. I snap out of my trance, forcing my feet to lift and carry me onwards, but I only make it two steps before she starts towards me. I hear my mom's shocked gasp, no doubt reeling at Lisa's lack of respect for tradition, and I stop, halting my dad's progression to wait for her. Her face is completely straight, and when she makes it to me, she blisters my skin with her scorching gaze, her eyes running over every part of my face before settling on my lips. Slowly lifting her arm, her hand cups my cheek and her thumb runs over my flesh. I nuzzle into it; I can't help it. All anxiety is drawn from me by her touch, my heart steadying and my body starting to relax again.

Lisa leans and puts her lips to my ear. 'Give me your hand. ' she whispers.

I hold out my hand to her, and she pulls away from me, taking my offering gently and placing her lips on the back of it. Then she snaps a pair of handcuffs over my wrist.

My eyes shoot to hers, finding a small smile tickling the edges of her beautiful lips, but she doesn't look at me. She keeps her eyes down and makes quick work of securing the spare metal loop over her own wrist. What the hell is she doing? I glance up at my dad, but he just shakes his head, and then I look across to my mother, finding her with her head in her hands, obviously despairing. I'm released from my dad's hold before Lisa makes her way to the front to join Elizabeth, her shocked whisper attacking her as she arrives by her side. My eyes drift over the congregation, noting all of the people who know Lisa are smiling, the ones who don't displaying wide eyes and gaping mouths. Jennie and Jisoo are chuckling, Vince's flashing his gold tooth, and then there's my brother. He's not impressed.

I'm absolutely stunned. I don't know why she behaves however she likes. But on our wedding day? In front of my family? My mom's going to have a hernia. Nothing so far has reflected the dream wedding that she undoubtedly had planned for me since I was a little girl.