Chapter 13

Lisa still hasn't said a word by the time we pull up at Lusso. She gets out and collects me, walking me straight past a cautious looking Jae and putting me in the penthouse elevator. I glance at her, but she's keeping her gaze pointed forward, not even meeting my eyes when I look at her in the reflection of the doors. When she opens the door into the penthouse, Cathy appears from the kitchen, her happy smile dropping away as soon as she notices her cheerfulness isn't being reciprocated.

'Is everything okay?' She assesses us both, then looks to Lisa for an answer, but she just hands me my bag and nods towards the stairs. I look at her, silently begging for some words. She doesn't indulge me. She nods again.

'Dear?' Cathy prompts warily.

'Everything is fine. Roseanne's not feeling too well.' She lightly pushes into my back with her hand, urging me forward.

'Are you coming?' I ask.

'I'll be up in a minute. Go.' She reinforces her words with a firmer push of her hand, and I leave her with Cathy.

As I'm passing Lisa's sweet housekeeper, she reaches out and gently strokes my shoulder, giving me a small smile. 'I'm glad you're home, Roseanne.'

I return her smile. It's a feeble smile. I feel uncertain and a little concerned by Lisa's despondent state. 'Thank you. ' I make my way upstairs, entering the master-suite and settling on the end of the bed.

Not knowing what to do, I kick my shoes off and shuffle myself up the bed a little more. My eyes are brimming with tears again as I clutch my knees to my chest and wait for her. I know that right now is when we'll talk about this, now we have both acknowledged what is happening; but in order to have a talk, both of us need to be speaking, and Lisa doesn't look like she plans on saying anything. I have no idea what is going through that crazy mind of hers and the strained atmosphere is pushing doubts back into me. I need reassurance, not silence, not time to talk my way back out of this.

My head snaps up when she enters the bedroom, but she doesn't look at me. Instead, she goes straight to the bathroom. I hear the waterfall tap of the bath start pouring and the faffing of her movements as she follows through on her usual bath time routine, collecting everything she'll need and placing it within reach. We're having a bath?

After way too long of me just sitting on the bed, listening to the water running and Lisa's quiet activities, she eventually walks soundlessly into the bedroom and approaches me without a word. Taking my hand and pulling me up from the bed, she strips me down, removes my diamond and my AP, for which I haven't even thanked her, before picking me up and carrying me into the bathroom.

She lowers me gently into the bath. 'Is the water okay?' she asks softly, releasing me and kneeling by the side of the tub.

'It's fine,' I answer, watching as she removes her suit jacket and pushes her shirt sleeves up her arms. She collects the sponge and dips, then squeezes some soap on it and turns me away from her. She starts gliding it across my back in gentle, steady strokes.

I'm a little confused. 'Aren't you getting in?' I ask quietly. I want her to lay behind me so I can feel her, take comfort in her. I need that.

'Let me look after you.' Her voice is low and unsure. I don't like it.

I turn myself around to face her, finding glazed eyes and a serious expression. It pulls at my heart. I've really fucked with her mind this time. 'I need you closer than this.' I reach up with my wet hand and lay my palm on her cheek. 'Please,'