Chapter 32: Ghost from the Past

As Sam arrived at her office the next day, she was met with a bouquet of flowers waiting for her, a gift from Kirk. Sam sighed in disappointment, knowing she needed to address the situation delicately.

Before she could gather her thoughts, Kirk appeared, entering Sam's office with a smile. "Did you like the flowers?" he asked, his tone hopeful.

Sam took a deep breath, trying to remain composed. "What are you doing here, Kirk?" she asked, her voice tinged with a hint of frustration, knowing she needed to keep her distance from him to respect Mon's feelings.

Kirk's response made Sam feel conflicted, torn between her promise to talk and Mon's discomfort. "I understand, but Mon's feelings matter to me," Sam replied earnestly, her anxiety mounting as she thought of Mon.

Kirk's frustration was evident as he spoke, "But why should I be penalized? We're just talking." His words resonated with a sense of unfairness.

Sam sighed, trying to find a balance. "It's not about penalizing anyone, Kirk. I just need to respect Mon's boundaries," she explained gently, hoping he would understand.

Kirk's question caught Sam off guard, his tone laced with skepticism. "Why are you so head over heels with Mon?" he asked, his words dripping with sarcasm. "Who knows, maybe Mon's just using you."

Kirk's remark stung, his words tinged with a sense of self-righteousness. "I'm just looking out for you, Sam," he insisted, his tone patronizing. "After all, you've known me for so long, whereas you barely know Mon for a year. Are sure you know her that much?"

"Protecting me?" Sam echoed, a hint of incredulity in her voice. "Thanks, but I think I can handle my own relationships."

Kirk's justification only fueled Sam's frustration. "Just because you've known me longer doesn't mean you have the right to question my choices," she retorted, her tone firm. "And Mon's been nothing but supportive and understanding since day one."

Sam's heart sank as a familiar voice echoed through the room, questioning her choices. She turned to see Nita standing there, a mix of surprise and apprehension washing over her.

"Nita..." Sam's voice trailed off, her mind racing with a flood of emotions, quietly, her gaze shifting between Nita and Kirk.

Nita's smile was warm, but there was a hint of concern in her eyes. "How are you, Sam?" she asked, her tone gentle. "It seems like it's been ages since we last caught up."

Sam's patience wore thin as she demanded answers from Nita. "What do you want?" she pressed, her tone sharp with urgency. "I don't have time for this."

Nita's sarcastic retort cut through the tension like a knife. "Oh, are you busy with your girlfriend, who's just using you as a rebound?" she quipped, her grin filled with mockery. "Haven't you learned your lesson yet, Sam?"

Tension crackled in the air as Sam confronted Nita, her voice tight with emotion. "Did you come here just to dredge up the past?" she demanded, her eyes flashing with frustration.

Nita shook her head, her expression serious. "No, Sam, that's not it at all," she insisted, her voice earnest. "I'm genuinely concerned for you."

With a sarcastic edge to her tone, Nita emphasized her worry. "I'm concerned that you might be heading down the same path as before," she added pointedly, her words laced with a mix of caution and genuine care.

In the hazy depths of memory, Sam found herself transported back to their college days, a time when friendships were forged and bonds were tested.

Gee and Nita sat with Sam and Kirk, the air filled with laughter and the aroma of snacks. But beneath the surface, tensions simmered, visible only to those who knew where to look.