Chapter 2: A Wounded Heart

As Nop's car pulled away, the headlights of another car illuminated. A young, sophisticated lady approached the car parked next to Nop's, clearly annoyed by the loud noise from Nop's engine.

Nop, aware of the disturbance he caused, lowered his window and offered an apologetic smile to the irritated lady. "Sorry about that," he said, his voice carrying over the lingering engine sounds as he continued to accelerate away.

I sighed in disappointment as I got into my car, preparing to head home. The encounter with the arrogant driver in the parking lot still lingered in my mind, adding to my frustration.

As I drove home, my phone rang, and I saw it was Kade, one of my best friends. I answered the phone, my voice tinged with irritation, which Kade immediately noticed.

"What's with the tone, Sam?" Kade asked, sounding concerned.

I sighed again, feeling the need to vent. "Aside from that arrogant driver I encountered earlier, I'm just so annoyed with my Grandma lately. She keeps treating me like a little kid," I explained to Kade, hoping for some understanding.

Kade replied sympathetically, "I think your grandma is just worried about you, Sam."

Sam nodded, acknowledging Kade's point. "I know, but sometimes it's just frustrating when she's checking every little detail of what I'm doing," she admitted.

As Sam was talking to Kade, her other phone rang, displaying her grandma's name. Sam sighed, indicating she needed to take the call. "Sorry, Kade, I'll call you back in a bit. Grandma's calling," she said, preparing to end the conversation.

"Sure thing. Take care, Sam. Talk to you later," Kade replied before bidding Sam goodbye.

Sam switched over to answer her grandma's call, and her grandma immediately asked where she was and reminded her about their plans for a visit.

"Where are you, Sam? It's getting late," Grandma's concerned voice came through the line.

"I'm on my way to your house now," I replied, glancing at the time on my car's dashboard.

"You should have left the office earlier, Sam," Grandma scolded gently.

"I know, Grandma, but I had some work to finish before I could leave," I explained, feeling a pang of guilt.

"Don't overwork yourself, dear. It's not good for you to be stressed out," Grandma advised, her tone filled with worry.

"I understand, Grandma, but you know how it is with work," I replied, trying to reassure her.

"I'd rather you be healthy and happy than overstressed for work, Sam," Grandma insisted, her concern evident in her voice.

"I'll be careful, Grandma. I'll be there soon," I promised, feeling touched by her concern.

"Alright, dear. Drive safely, and I'll be waiting for you," Grandma said, her voice softening with affection.

I ended the call with Grandma and continued on my way to her house. As soon as I arrived, I was greeted by Grandma's household helpers, who ushered me inside. They guided me to the dining room, where dinner was already served and waiting for me.

As I entered the dining room, I was greeted by a spread of colorful and healthy dishes meticulously prepared by Grandma's household helpers. The table was adorned with vibrant salads, grilled vegetables, and lean proteins, all carefully selected to accommodate my heart condition.

Despite the sumptuous dinner laid out before me, I couldn't shake off the feeling of being treated as fragile because of my health condition. While I appreciated the effort and consideration, it also reminded me of the limitations imposed on me because of my heart problem. It was a constant reminder that I had to be careful and mindful of what I ate, and sometimes, it felt suffocating to be constantly reminded of my condition.