Chapter 38: Serendipitous Encounter

Mon breaks the embrace, her breath shaky as she steps back slightly from Sam's embrace, her eyes wide with shock.

"Are you okay?" Sam asks, her voice filled with concern as she reaches out to gently touch Mon's arm, searching her face for any signs of injury. "Did you get hurt?" she inquires, her worry evident in her tone as she scans Mon's form for any visible signs of harm.

"I'm... I'm okay," Mon responds shakily, her voice barely above a whisper as she avoids meeting Sam's gaze, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

Sam leans in closer, catching a whiff of alcohol on Mon's breath, her brow furrowing in concern. "Mon, have you been drinking?" she asks softly, her tone gentle but probing as she takes in the unsteady rhythm of Mon's steps.

Mon shifts uncomfortably, unable to meet Sam's gaze as she struggles to find the right words. "I... yeah, a little," she admits hesitantly, her voice tinged with shame as she finally meets Sam's concerned gaze.

"Anyay, thank you, Sam," Mon says urgently, her voice tinged with both gratitude and a sense of urgency. "But I really should go," she adds, already starting to turn away, her mind still reeling from the close call with the car.

Before Mon can take another step, Sam reaches out and gently grasps her arm, stopping her in her tracks. "Wait, Mon," Sam says softly, her eyes pleading for a moment of connection. "Can we talk for a while?" she asks, her voice laced with sincerity and a hint of vulnerability.

Mon hesitates, torn between the instinct to flee and the desire to confront the unresolved feelings lingering between them. With a heavy sigh, she nods slowly, silently agreeing to Sam's request as she prepares herself for the difficult conversation ahead.

"Mon, I owe you an apology," Sam begins, her voice tinged with remorse as she meets Mon's gaze with sincerity. "I haven't been open with you about my past traumas, and I realize now that it's been unfair to you," she continues, her words weighted with the weight of her guilt.

"I've been carrying these burdens for so long, and I've let them affect our relationship without even realizing it," Sam confesses, her expression softening as she reaches out to gently take Mon's hand in her own. "I'm sorry for not trusting you enough to share this part of myself with you," she adds, her tone filled with genuine regret.

"Mon, I know I've made mistakes, and I understand if you can't forgive me," Sam says softly, her voice laced with regret as she gazes earnestly into Mon's eyes. "But please know that I've missed you so much," she adds, her words carrying the weight of her longing.

Mon's heart aches at Sam's plea, torn between the pain of the past and the desire for reconciliation. "Sam, I... I appreciate your honesty," she replies, her voice wavering slightly as she struggles to find the right words. "But right now, I'm... I'm not in the right state to have this conversation," she admits, her gaze flickering to the ground as she acknowledges the influence of the alcohol on her emotions.

Understanding Mon's hesitation, Sam nods in acceptance. As she looks at Mon, she notices how thin her blouse is, a pang of concern washing over her. Without a second thought, she removes her jacket and gently drapes it over Mon's shoulders, the gesture filled with warmth and care.

Mon's eyes widen in shock at the unexpected act of kindness, her heart fluttering as Sam draws her into a hug, their faces inches apart. "Your blouse is so thin," Sam murmurs softly, her breath warm against Mon's cheek. "You're a little drunk, and it's not safe for you to walk alone at this hour," she adds, her voice filled with genuine concern.

As Sam and Mon linger in their embrace, a sense of tenderness envelops them, their hearts beating in sync as they gaze into each other's eyes. In that moment, Mon's heart softens as she looks upon Sam's face, her features illuminated by the soft glow of the streetlights.