Chapter 17: She is Mine

Sam drove Mon home to ensure her safety and fulfill her promise to take care of her.

"Do you want to come inside first?" Mon invited Sam into their house.

"It's getting late; maybe next time, Mon," Sam replied. Mon got out of Sam's car, and Sam rolled down her window to watch Mon enter the gate. As Mon reached the gate, she turned to wave goodbye to Sam, who waved back in return.

As soon as Mon disappeared from Sam's sight, she accelerated her car to drive home.

Mon entered her home, where her parents were in the living room, and she paid her respects to them.

"Mon, Yuki is in your room. She said she's here because she's sleeping over," Mon's father said.

"Oh gosh! I forgot that was tonight!" Mon exclaimed, bidding farewell to her parents to check up on Yuki.

Mon opened her room's door and saw Yuki standing by the window.

"Yuki!!! I'm so sorry!!!" Mon exclaimed, hugging her best friend from behind.

"That car seemed so familiar, Mon," Yuki replied.

"What car?" Mon asked, pretending not to know what Yuki was talking about.

"Don't play pretend, Mon. The car that drove you home," Yuki replied.

"Oh, that," Mon said, breaking the hug and organizing her things on her desk.

"So, you were with Sam. Should I be jealous now? It seems you have a new best friend," Yuki replied jealously.

"Aww, Yuki!! It's not like that," Mon replied. "She just invited me for dinner, and I couldn't resist her."

"Your idea is for me to go out, have a good time, and enjoy myself, right?" Mon said, sitting in front of her mirror, gently removing her makeup.

"Yeah, but..." Yuki began, but Mon cut her off. "Okay, Yuki, I get it. That's the plan," Mon replied, as she continued with her evening skincare routine.

"What's going on with you? Just the other day, we couldn't have a proper conversation with you. Now, you seem like a completely different person," Yuki said, bewildered by Mon's sudden shift in perspective.

"Maybe I just got tired of crying, of being miserable," Mon replied. "I realized I had shut my door to you guys, to the people who cared about me. When I met Jim, Kade, Tee, and especially Sam, I suddenly felt like there are still people who can bring me happiness and love," Mon explained.

In response to Sam's text, Mon typed, "I had a great time too. Why are you still awake? It's nearly midnight; you should be resting now," as she leaned back on her couch, awaiting a reply.

Her phone chimed with Sam's response: "Concerned for me, Mon? Why?"

Mon rolled her eyes, grinning, then replied, "Why? Because you just recovered from your operation, so you need to take care of yourself. Of course, I'm concerned; I care for you, Sam."

Smiling, Mon waited for another reply from Sam. "Really? Mon, don't make my heart flutter too much, you know it's bad for me," Sam replied. Mon giggled and shook her head in amusement.
"Anyway, Mon, I just texted to say goodnight and thank you again," Sam added.

"Okay, Sam. Goodnight. See you soon," Mon concluded their text messages, sighing as she felt her chest flutter and smiled.

"Hey, Mon, who was that, huh? You're smiling all by yourself... Let me guess, it was Sam... You like her, don't you?" Yuki teased Mon, poking her cheeks.

"Yuki, don't be foolish!" Mon exclaimed, denying it to Yuki.

As the night continued with laughter and more teasing, they succumbed to the night and fell into a deep slumber.