Chapter 22: Whispers of Envy

As Mon diligently applied her nighttime skincare routine, Sam emerged from the bathroom, toweling her hair dry. A mischievous twinkle sparkled in her eyes as she watched Mon.

"Hey, Mon, do you think we can continue our little game in bed?" Sam teased, a suggestive smirk playing on her lips as she approached Mon.

Mon chuckled at Sam's playful suggestion, raising an eyebrow teasingly. "Oh, really? And what exactly do you have in mind?" she replied, unable to suppress her own grin.

With a playful glint in her eyes, Sam gently pulled Mon towards the bed, her lips curving into a seductive smile. "Well, I was thinking we could explore some other ways to have fun," she whispered suggestively, her breath warm against Mon's ear.

Mon's heart skipped a beat at Sam's suggestion, a flush creeping up her cheeks. "I like the sound of that," she murmured, her voice laced with anticipation as she followed Sam onto the bed, eager to continue their playful escapades.

As Sam's gentle caresses ignited a fire within Mon, their passion began to blossom. Sam's lips traced a trail of kisses from Mon's foot to her neck, each touch sending shivers down Mon's spine. Just as Sam leaned in to capture Mon's lips in a passionate kiss, the faint ringing of a phone interrupted their intimate moment.

With a soft sigh of frustration, Sam reluctantly pulled away from Mon, a disappointed frown marring her features. Glancing at her phone, she saw Kirk's name flashing on the screen, indicating an incoming call.

"Sorry, Mon," Sam apologized with a regretful expression, reaching for her phone. "I'll just quickly take this," she explained, before answering the call.

As Sam engaged in the conversation with Kirk, Mon waited patiently, her desire still burning bright despite the interruption.

As Sam reluctantly answered Kirk's call, irritation simmered beneath her polite tone. "Hello, Kirk," she greeted tersely, her patience already wearing thin.

Kirk's voice came through the phone, filled with longing and desperation. "Sam, I've been missing you. I can't stop thinking about you," he confessed, his words laced with hope.

Sam sighed heavily, her irritation growing as Kirk continued to express his feelings. "Kirk, I've told you before. I'm in love with someone else now," she reminded him firmly, her voice tinged with frustration.

But Kirk remained undeterred, his voice tinged with hope. "I know, Sam. But I still believe that someday, we'll find our way back to each other," he insisted, his tone pleading.

Unable to bear Kirk's persistence any longer, Sam interrupted him with a hushed tone. "Kirk, I can't do this right now," she interjected, her frustration evident. "I'll talk to you later," she added before hastily ending the call.

Meanwhile, as Sam and Kirk conversed, Mon's frustration bubbled over, her jealousy intensifying with each passing moment. Unable to bear hearing their conversation any longer, she clenched her fists in frustration, her heart heavy with jealousy and longing.

As the call ended, a heavy silence enveloped the room, tension hanging in the air. Mon struggled to contain her curiosity, but eventually, she couldn't hold back any longer.

"Who was that, Sam?" Mon blurted out, her voice betraying her frustration.

Sam feigned innocence, pretending not to understand Mon's question. "Who?" she asked, her tone casual.

Mon's irritation flared, and she cut Sam off before she could make any more excuses. "Don't play dumb, Sam," she snapped, her frustration evident in her voice.

Sam sighed, realizing she couldn't avoid the question any longer. "It was Kirk," she admitted reluctantly, her voice tinged with reluctance.

Mon's eyebrows furrowed in annoyance. "What does he want?" she demanded, her tone sharp.

Sam shrugged nonchalantly. "He was just checking up on me, seeing how I'm doing," she replied casually.

"Why does he need to do that?" Mon asked, her irritation evident in her voice.

"He's just a friend, Mon," Sam explained, trying to downplay the situation. But Mon's jealousy continued to simmer beneath the surface, her frustration growing with each passing moment.

Mon's sarcastic tone cut through the air like a knife. "Friend?" she scoffed disbelievingly. "I don't buy that Kirk is just a friend."

Attempting to evade Mon's interrogation, Sam shifted uncomfortably. "Mon, let's not make a big deal out of this," she tried to reason, her voice strained.

But Mon's annoyance was reaching its peak, her patience wearing thin. She leveled a threatening gaze at Sam. "If you don't tell me the truth right now, Sam, you'll regret it," she warned, her tone sharp.

Sam hesitated, searching for an excuse, but none came to mind. "He's just a friend, Mon," she insisted weakly, her voice faltering under Mon's intense scrutiny.

Mon's agitation grew with each passing moment, her anger bubbling to the surface. "No friend would call late at night just to ask how you're doing," she retorted sarcastically, her frustration palpable.

Still unable to conjure up a convincing excuse, Sam's silence spoke volumes, only fueling Mon's anger further.

Finally, unable to bear the tension any longer, Sam relented. "Okay, fine," she confessed reluctantly, her voice barely above a whisper. "Kirk is... or was... my suitor before I met you."

Mon's eyes widened in surprise at the word "suitor," her anger mounting at the revelation. "So, you're answering calls from a suitor in front of your girlfriend?" she demanded, her tone laced with frustration.

Sam shifted uncomfortably under Mon's accusatory gaze, her nerves getting the best of her. "I-I don't know what to do," she stammered, seeking guidance from Mon. "Should I just ignore him from now on?"

Mon's annoyance grew as she listened to Sam's flustered response, her stare piercing. "You should have done that from the start," she retorted sharply.

Sam's voice quivered as she defended herself. "But it's just Kirk. He's the only one who wants to call every now and then," she explained, her tone pleading.

Mon's sarcasm dripped from her words as she replied, "Oh, it seems like you're enjoying Kirk's attention, then."

The tension in the room was palpable as Sam struggled to find the right words to appease Mon's anger, her heart heavy with guilt for causing her girlfriend distress.

Feeling Mon tense up, Sam quickly wrapped her arms around her from behind, pulling her into a tight embrace to prevent her from leaving. "I'm sorry, Mon," she murmured softly, her voice filled with sincerity. "I didn't mean to upset you. I have no intention of answering Kirk's call. I don't like him, not even a little bit."

Sam tightened her hold, hoping to convey her honesty to Mon. "I've already told Kirk countless times before that we won't be together," she explained earnestly. "He needs to stop hoping for something that will never happen."

Mon broke free from Sam's embrace, frustration evident in her voice as she exclaimed, "But he's still hopeful because you're entertaining his gestures, Sam."

Sam's heart sank at Mon's words, realizing the impact her actions had on her girlfriend. With a heavy sigh, she reached out to gently cup Mon's face, meeting her gaze with remorse. "I'm sorry, Mon. I didn't realize how much it was affecting you," she apologized sincerely. "I'll make sure to handle it differently from now on. You're the only one I care about."

Sam gently held Mon's hands, her gaze filled with sincerity. "Mon, I want you to know that I don't like Kirk at all," she reassured, her voice soft and earnest. "I will make it clear to him and draw the lines between us. You don't need to be jealous, because it's you that I love."

Mon's expression softened slightly at Sam's words, though her apprehension remained evident. "I understand your relationship with Kirk," she replied, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "But it doesn't mean I have to like it."

Sam nodded in understanding, her heart heavy with guilt for causing Mon distress. "I know, and I'm sorry," she apologized sincerely, pulling Mon into a warm embrace. "I'll do everything I can to make you feel secure in our relationship. You mean everything to me."