Accident

Angsty hehe 😉
Only slightly keep your pants on.
Literally just wrote this and it's 10:49 where I live so.... ✌️😜👍
Also, there is an OC called Max, quick profile on them:
Pronouns they/them
They are a special needs teacher, and they teach Nico bc of his dyslexia (in this oneshot, I'mma post another (when I finish it) where Nico's taught by Max bc of Tourette's and severe panic attacks/anxiety)
Is called by their first name so the kids are more comfortable and talk to them
More on Max to come, I have the feeling they'll be pretty recurring.
On with it!

O-X-X-X-X-O

Nico unlocked the door to the house, humming along to "we fell in love in october" by girl in red. He pulled one earbud out and let it hang from the cord.

"Hey mom!" he called, expecting his mother to be upstairs. He dropped his bag at his school area in the living and went to find his mother frantic on the phone in the living room. Nico tilted his head in confusion. He pulled out his other earbud and shoved them in his pocket.

"Mamma, what's wrong?" he asked, seeing her teary eyes and worried expression.

"Naomi, he's home, I have to...I have to talk to him. I'll be over soon with clothes I promise." Maria hung up the phone and took a deep breath.

"Why does Ms Solace need clothes? Were Will and her evicted? Is he okay?" Nico asked frantically. The Solaces had a crappy landlord, so Nico immediately thought of that.

"No, honey, they...they weren't evicted. But something's happened." Maria dried her tears. Nico knelt down in front of his mother.

"Mamma, you're scaring me. What happened, is Will okay?"

"Will was...he's in the hospital, Niccolo." Maria sobbed.

"What?" Nico asked incredulously. He stood and his breathing quickened.

"He was hit by a car, dear. He's in the hospital. Naomi is there, but they aren't allowing anyone besides family. I'm going to pretend to be her sister-in-law, I have to bring her some things, and clothes for them both. I have to go, Nico, I'm so sorry." Nico felt tears coming down his face and he covered his mouth with his hand. Maria got up and pulled him into a hug, and he sobbed into her shoulder.

§~~~~~~~~§
--time skip 2 days, Nico hasn't been allowed to go see Will--

Nico stared hard at the words on the page. The letters rearranged themselves and the words skipped around the page. He clenched his jaw and stared at the word. 

He saw it as "xtarodrienray". What it really said, he had no idea.

Nico balled his fist and slammed it on the table. Max, his special needs reading teacher, looked up from their workbooks. "Nico? What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Nico growled. Max tilted their head and raised their eyebrows.

"Something's obviously wrong. Talk to me," they said. Nico scowled.

"Shut up." Max's jaw dropped.

"No. You don't get to talk to me like that. I don't know what you're upset about Nico, but you cannot talk to me like that. What's bothering you?"

"What do you think?" Nico said quietly, feeling his eyes fill with tears. He didn't care. He let them fall. Max's expression softened. They walked toward Nico and put a hand on his shoulder. Nico shrugged it off and stood up. "Don't touch me."

"Nico. I'm trying to help you. You cannot speak to me like that. I know you are upset, but there is no reason to be rude to me. I know all of this anger is coming from sadness, so come on. Cry it out. Talk to me so I can help you."

"You can't help me! Unless you can miraculously save him, or lock up the bastard who hit him, you can't help me!" Nico yelled, tears falling steadily. "I just...I just want to see him. That's all I want. To see him, to hold him, to..." His voice broke. He slid down the wall and cried into his knees. Max approached carefully, and sat down next to Nico. They hugged their knees and leaned their head against the wall, sighing.

"This is all very difficult. I know I'm worried for Will, and I'm just his teacher. I can't imagine how you, his mother, or your mother feel. Have you had any updates? Have you visited him?"

"They won't let me come. I wasn't allowed to yesterday, at least. I don't even know why. The last thing I was told was that he had to amputate his leg. I'm so scared, Max. I need him. I love him so, so much." Max nodded and put a hand carefully on Nico's shoulder.

They say together for a while, while Nico cried.

-x-

"Nico, I'm gonna make a call. Is that okay?" Max asked. Nico nodded and sniffled. Max got up and handed him a box of tissues. Max went to the phone and stepped outside, letting the wire extend out the door. He dialed Maria di Angelo's number.

After a couple rings, she picked up. "Hello?"

"Hi Ms di Angelo. It's Max, Nico's teacher."

"Oh, yes, Max. Of course. What's wrong, is Nico alright?"

"Well, Ms di Angelo, he's very upset about Will's accident. I was wondering if he was able to visit Will at all. I completely understand that it is up to the hospital staff, and you cannot control anything with it, but I think that it would really help him to be able to be there with him. Even if Will is asleep. Just to know how he's doing and if he's okay."

"Yes, I think so too. I haven't been a very good mother, lately. I'm so fussy with Naomi, I've practically left mio Niccolo alone. I'll talk to the hospital staff. Can I put you on hold? I'm not too sure how to re-dial your number."

"That's fine, Ms di Angelo."

The call went silent and Max waited for what felt like forever.

Then Maria unmuted the call and spoke. "The hospital staff are permitting it. I'll be over to pick Niccolo up shortly."

"Wonderful. That's great, Ms di Angelo!"

"Max?" Maria said quietly.

"Yes, Ms di Angelo?"

"Thank you."

Max smiled. "No problem. I'll pack Nico up."

Max opened the door to the classroom and hung the receiver on the dock. He looked over at Nico who's face was less red than it was earlier.

"Nico, your mom's coming to pick you up soon. I'd pack up and wait for the call."

Nico's eyebrows furrowed and he sniffled. "Why? Do I have an appointment?"

"No. You have a patient to visit." Realization dawned on Nico's face. Tears sprang back to his eyes. He ran across the room and hugged Max's torso tight.

"Thank you. Thank you, Max." Max smiled, hugging their student back.

$---$

Nico walked into the hospital, holding his mothers hand tight. She guided him to the elevator, and the 3rd floor. Down the hall, turn right, left, and he's the fourth door on the right.

"He's asleep from sleep medication, Niccolo, but he's alright for now. They ended up not having to amputate. He still has his leg," Maria explained. She squeezed his hand. "He is quite bruised. Do not be too alarmed when you see him."

Nico stood in front of the door. He took a deep breath. He turned the knob and walked into the hospital room.

Will was lying in a bed that was propped up. His mother held his left hand and prayed the rosary quietly. Will had bruises and scrapes all over his arms and face, and his eye was swollen. There was a burn on his left forearm that was about 3 inches long and an inch wide. His leg was in a blue cast, running from his knee to his ankle.

Nico had never been more happy to see him. His eyes filled with tears and he rushed to Will's side. He knelt down and kissed his hand, taking it in both of his own, and leaning them on his forehead. He smiled and cried quietly, shaking with silent sobs.

"Ti amo, tesoro. I missed you."