it's not that complicated

"Do you have clothes for tomorrow? Or should we swing by your place tomorrow morning?" Mark asked just above a whisper to Areum from the backstage, but still loud enough that Jaemin had accidentally heard it. His mind jumped through hoops as he realised she had her own place and he was driving her down to her 'best friend's house' for the night.

"I thought you said you guys live together?" Jaemin asked quickly, hearing the murmur between each other.

"It's complicated." Areum answered again simply, making his eye almost twitch. And here he thought it was just her best friend—since she introduced him as such. But maybe Jaemin didn't know as much as he had hoped. And one thing Jaemin hated was not knowing the answers to his million questions.

________

"Juri, when someone says 'it's complicated', what does that mean?" Jaemin asked with a hopeful glint in his voice as he set out the white styrofoam cup of coffee on the reception counter

"They're fucking." Juri deadpanned, reaching for the cup which Jaemin now pulled away out of spite. Juri parted her lips and looked up at him with slight shock, watching his eyes glare at her

"You don't deserve this coffee" Jaemin huffed, eyebrows furrowed with a visible frown on his face as he walked towards the small break room. Juri blinked twice, looking back around to see him turning the corner before someone else caught her attention.

"Is he here already?" Areum asked, taking off her jacket and hanging it on the rack

"Uh yeah...he's in a sour mood" Juri added and Areum raised her eyebrows in surprise. A sour mood? Na Jaemin? It seemed impossible. And then the thought of him figuring out the truth about her started to set in.

"Hey uh...you wanted to talk to me?" Areum asked with nervousness laced in her voice. He turned around to look at her, his smile only lifting up half way compared to the usual. Fuck. He knows.

"Yeah...take a seat. It shouldn't take too long" Jaemin said, clearing out his throat before pulling a seat down by the table

"Shit...listen I just—I need you to know how sorry I am like...I didn't want to hurt anyone or cause any trouble I just..." she trailed off, feeling her anxiety spike up as the nerves set up under his concerned gaze

"We all make mistakes" Jaemin said again, voice a bit more plain that he had intended it to be

"Yeah but I'm well aware that this is far from a mistake I mean it's practically illegal you know...prescribing medication to—"

"I'm glad you're aware but I think you're freaking out a little. Is everything okay?" He asked, cutting her off. She blinked twice before tilting her head with slight confusion. Was this some sort of mind game he was using to being down her guard and make her confess to her heinous crimes?

"Come sit, let's get started" Jaemin smiled reassuringly, patting the empty chair next to him. Get started? On what? A lawsuit against her?

"Areum?" He asked, snapping her back into reality and she slowly moved her feet towards the chair, a sense of impending doom flowing through her body.

"Let's start with Mr.Choi" Jaemin said. Oh God, here it comes. He was going to start naming her illegal actions one by one wasn't he?

Her leg anxiously tapped against the floor as she watched him flick his file—one of many—against the table, opening it up and examining it slowly in detail. Her leg bounced so high with nerves that her knee had started to tap against the bottom of the table, creating a ripple in his mug of coffee.

"Hey...relax" Jaemin said, brows furrowed with concern as he instinctively reached his warm hand over and placed it on top of her knee that seemed to continuously hit against the wood. She blinked down at their physical contact, looking up into his eyes with almost tears in hers. 'Lord, I know I'm not your favourite but within the next five minutes if you want to send down an asteroid that would wipe the earth, I would really appreciate that's she prayed.

"Hey, you're okay. What's going on?" Jaemin asked with a slight whisper. Why won't he just cut the act and tell her? Why doesn't he just tell her that the cops would be on their way any minute now? Why was he making this so much harder than it had to be? And why is he starting to lean in...

And before she could ask herself any more questions, she felt a soft pair of lips attach themselves onto her own. What the fuck just happened?

She pulled back with shock, eyes wide with lips parted as if she was going to drop down with a panic attack at any second now. She prayed for an asteroid and the Lord really did seem to send one down, in the form of a blonde 27 year old man. God really does works in mysterious ways it seems.

"Oh God, I'm sorry" Jaemin winced, a sense of humiliation creeping up on him as he looked at her mortified expression while she froze up in shock.

"I shouldn't have done that...not when you and Jinhyung are clearly a thing" Jaemin sighed, retracting back in his seat. She furrowed her eyebrows at his statement. Why the fuck would me and Mark's brother be a—oh.

"Jaemin...I—"

"You don't have to explain. It's complicated right?" Jaemin asked with a dry chuckle and she let out a small one herself, her body finally easing up with relief

"Well, it's not that complicated" she said, watching him slowly turn back around to her

"Well apparently complicated means you're...fucking so—"

"Me and Ma—Jinhyung?!" She exclaimed, a laugh emitting from her lips at the unforeseen statement. Here she was two minutes ago thinking she would be accused of medical malpractice only to be accused of having sex with Mark Lee.

"Oh God...no he's a virgin, like we've never—no." She said, shaking her head

"But you live together?" Jaemin asked and she knew she had to think of something quick if she didn't want to dig herself into a deeper hole by explaining her life story to him

"Yeah but we don't ever—he's my best friend. And plus, he's the kind of guy to wait for the right girl to do all that so trust me, if I was the girl we would've had sex by now" she said, seeing him slowly nod at her explanation before he flicked his eyes back up to hers again

"So what kind of girl are you?" He asked with a voice slightly above a whisper as he leaned in again, and this time she didn't seem to shy away as the corner of her lip tugged upwards

"Why don't you kiss me again and find out?"