Part 16

11 years later..

Friday, May
3:15pm

"Emily!"
My boss shouts out from his office, i sigh and pull my hands into a fist. I slowly turn around doing my best to put on a fake smile.
"Mhm"
"Do you mind coming into work tomorrow? I have some files for you to go through." He says.

Fuck. My. Life.

"You know what, I would love to!" I say cheery (I want to die)
He smiles and claps his hands together,
"Great! See you tomorrow!"

That's my Boss, David. God he's so nice but so annoying, and I can't tell him he's annoying because he's so nice.
I work for David's news article company in the centre of New York, so it gets very busy sometimes, although I do earn a lot for a woman in this business and trust me I've been through 6 other jobs and the pay for a woman who works more than a man half the time is outrageous.

God, what has it been 11 years? I have to update you! So... I've got a boyfriend, his name is Orlando and he's the best. He's so sweet and we met in a very odd way, I fell onto him when me and my friend Lilia were messing around, since then we never took our eyes off each other. We've been together for 7 years now, and the next stage is surely marriage. We just get along so well, he'd make the best dad. My mum lives in a lovely apartment with her new husband, Greg. He's nice and treats her the way she should be treated, she's happy.. I'm happy. Let me tell you, New York is a dream, I'm so glad we moved here.

I walk outside to find Lilia is waiting for me, me and Lilia became friends from college, and stayed close ever since. I'm quite lucky I fount her because a whole new college of new people is scary.
She beeps at me,
"Get in loser, we're going shopping"
she says in her fake Regina George over the top impression.
I get into the car and sigh,
"Oh no what happened baby girl." Lilia says and she starts driving.
"I have to go in tomorrow, to do more...more work." I sigh bashing my head against the window.
"What? He's done this to you so many times, why can't he ask someone else to fucking do it?"
She says getting angrier than me.
"This is what I'm saying! He's such a nice guy but he takes the piss out of me." I say aggravated

"Is Orlando home?" She asks me.
"I'm not sure, I don't think he is. He's been working so hard lately."
I say back feeling sorry for him.

-

4.03pm

I arrive home and become suspicious when all the lights aren't on... not even one. I place my bag down and slide my shoes off and walk upstairs.
"Orlando?" I say in a small tone.
No answer
I squint my face in confusion and walk towards the bedroom.
I laugh to myself, there he was snug as a bug covered in dry paint (he builds houses) and passed out on the bed asleep.
I walk over to him and kiss him on the forehead, and he shortly wakes up after, smiling as he opens his eyes.
"I didn't know you came home" he says in his croaky voice.
"No wonder you didn't, by the looks of it you were passed out." I laugh at him.
He grabs the back of my head, pulls me in for a kiss and holds me in close.

"Right, I've got to make dinner because if not it won't be done. Meatballs and pasta tonight?"
I ask him at which he returns with a thumbs up.
"Meatballs and pasta it is then."
I say getting up and walking downstairs
"I love you!"
He shouts from the bedroom.
"I love you" I say back

-
4:56pm

I'm downstairs making dinner and making myself ball with anger just thinking about the fact I have to go into work tomorrow, it's a Saturday tomorrow! No one wants to go into work on a Saturday.
Just as I was about to blabber on someone walks through the front door. I walk from the kitchen to see who it is,
"Ah why hello mother" I say and walk over to give her a hug.
"What brings you here today?" I say.
She looks at me and gives me a 'I'm fucking tired of this shit' look.
"Oh no, come on what happened." I say as I drag her into the kitchen.
She sits down at the table, and drops her head into her hands.
"Me and Greg, we argued today again, he's just so stubborn."
"So are you mum." I laugh.
"Yes and that's why it's terrible when we argue because we never say sorry." She says in defence.
"Mum I think you and Greg just need space for a bit, but then that is hard when your in a marriage and you live together 24/7"
I say in my own thought process.
"You know, i know you don't want to hear this but... Emily, we have no sex life." She says.
"Mum, it don't matter what age I am, I don't want to know about your sex life" I say giving her a disgusted look.
"Yes I know that but I don't care, I don't have friends, they're all nearly dead anyway half of them."
She says making me burst out laughing.
"What?? It's true isn't it. You'll get to this age one day, and you'll say exactly the same." She tells me.
"Yeah to be honest, probably. Although my sex life with hopefully not be as sad as yours." I laugh.
My mum shakes her head at me and starts sniffing around.
"Are you cooking meatballs and pasta?" She asks.
"Yeah, for me and Orlando. Why you want some?" I ask.
"Yeah if there's some left, don't fuss if not." She says.
Typical, this is what old people do all the time, my mother knows damn well she wants some and she don't care if there won't be enough she's just being an old person.
"Mum there's enough."
I say playfully rolling my eyes.

-