24: Tracker

Azriel

"I'd like you to meet Hunter and Cyrene, two of my best trackers." Minka said, motioning to the two fae standing before us. We were in her old camp, the rebel base in Adhira nestled in the center of the Amarian mountains.

The female, a tall, lithe woman with wide eyes and half of her long blonde hair braided, gave me a wide smile, dark brown eyes sparkling. The darker skinned male didn't offer the same sentiment, the tattoos on his face crinkling as he narrowed his eyes at me. They were both dressed in typical Ciatnen leathers, dark brown embossed with silver and gold detailing. They graced me with a deep bow as I approached.

"Your majesty, it's a pleasure finally to meet you." The female, Cyrene, said.

I offered her a tight smile, turning to the male, "Hunter is a bit on the nose for a tracker, no?"

He looked like he wanted to laugh, but wouldn't, "I suppose my parents had high hopes for me."

"I am sure you've made them very proud." I looked between the obvious mates from the way their hands were interlinked, "I appreciate you volunteering to help."

"Forgive me if this is rude, but where is Queen Leuruna?" Cyrene asked.

"She's busy working in their homeland." Minka answered for me. I had already briefed all of the Generals on what was going on with Leur, and all of them agreed. I realized then that the three of them didn't just follow my mate for her power or because she was Queen, but because they genuinely cared for her too.

Regardless, only three days into her vacation and Leur was already starting to go stir crazy. I had simply told her it was too bad.

"I see." Cyrene nodded, "I was hoping to get the chance to meet her."

"You have never met her?" I tilted my head at the pair. Sometimes, it was still odd to have people speak of my mate as if she was some mythical being. People did it with me too, shocked faces when I walked past, wide eyes watching my every move.

It was different than the Night Court. The territory was much smaller, and nearly everyone has met Rhys, Feyre, Leur, and all of the members of the Inner Circle. Or at minimum, they have seen us plenty of times.

But even though Leur has been here for 500 years, working as a General of the majority of them, there were still plenty of citizens who had never seen her or met her before. And for me, after only a year here, I had probably met only a mere fraction of the population. People recognized us by paintings, word of mouth, the crowns on our heads.

"No more than on the battlefield." Hunter answered, "After 300 years, your mate is the only target I have ever had that I never even came close to catching."

Ah, that was the reason for his mildly odd behavior. He did not dislike me or Leur, just held a grudge for her evasion of him.

Trackers and spies are a competitive lot. We all have to be in order to be willing to do what we do. It's a requirement to be nearly relentless of your pursuits in the field, or staking out in a tree for days on end would be hellishly boring.

"I know just how hard it is to track my mate." I gave him a smirk, "I've been chasing after that woman since I was ten years old."

Hunter's hard face cracked, a smile shining through it with a chuckle. As if he knew that I understood him, and would not hold it against him.

"Hopefully, Acantha won't be as hard to track as Leur is." Minka spoke up, leading us all into a wide cabin. It was a war room, I realized. Maps of the territory pinned on the walls, information compiled onto chalkboards, battle plans strewn across tables. And in the center of the room, a strange glowing image of all of Solarea.