29: Punishment

Leur

"Are you sure you don't want to go home?" Rhys said as he was bandaging my ankle, the two of us still behind that shield on the ground. That beast had bit straight into the tendon at the back of my heel and my bone, and Rhys said it needed to be splinted so that my foot healed correctly.

I didn't argue with him.

He was pouring some healing magic into my skin as he worked. As much as he could spare. I could have used a spell to heal this in a moment, but with the wyrm down here- I wasn't wasting power unless it was absolutely necessary. It seemed that my brother was on the same page as me.

My brother, who had saved me from the bat creatures.

Maybe the worst part about it all was the realization that I genuinely hadn't expected him to come. And yet he had, without fail or hesitation, reckless abandon of his own life to ensure I was safe.

It wasn't even necessary. I had wings and magic. I would have eventually gotten myself out of that pit, and yet- Rhys had still come.

"Well, I'm dedicated now." I answered his question, "Now I really need to see what this star is leading us to, if only out of spite."

Rhys laughed, slipping my boot back on over the bandage. I watched him tie my laces the way he used to when I was a child, before I had learned to do it myself. On his knees, my foot braced between them, loosening and tightening the strings until they were the way he wanted, hands that were now an adult's tying a double knot.

Always double knot your shoe laces, Lunet. He'd say when he taught me to do it myself, There's too many other dangers for an untied shoe to be what gets you hurt.

In many ways, Rhys had raised me more than our father ever had.

"Thank you." I said as he finished.

He got to his feet, holding a both hands out to me, "Don't put weight on it."

He pulled me up from the ground, my injured foot bent behind me as I stood there in front of him, "Okay, get on my back." He said.

I frowned, "I can walk."

"No, you can't."

"Sure can." I took a step forward, barely able to contain my wince as pain shot up my leg, "See, I'm fine."

Rhys cut me a look, a scold and a frown all at once, "Either get on my back or I'm carrying you on my hip like you're still five years old."

"I'm pretty sure I am too big for that these days, Rhys." I said, looking up at him.

Bad idea.

He wasted no time in proving me wrong, hands wrapping around my waist as he swung me up on his hip, carrying me like a child as he walked down the cavern.

Surprisingly comfortable, but strange for an adult woman.

"Okay, you made your point." I huffed, "You can put me down now."

He just kept walking, "You're being stubborn. You lost your walking privileges."

"I didn't realize that was something I could lose?"

"You're small." Rhys deadpanned, "Any of us can pick you up, at any time."

I laughed against his shoulder, "Okay, but can you at least carry me on your back?"

He didn't say anything just slung me around to his back like I was a rag doll. For a long time, we walked like that in silence. Rhys carrying me and me with my arms around him, my head resting on his shoulder.