Chapter 40 | Introduction Par Effraction

I pull away, suprised.

"I'm sorry, I wa—"

"It's okay, it was just surprising."

I give him a reassuring smile and squeeze his hands.

I spend the rest of the ride memorizing the Map. When we arrive at the Palace, I slip my mask on.

"We have an advantage tonight, but that doesn't mean it will be simple."

"The worthwhile things usually aren't."

He helps me out of the Carriage and offers me his arm.

The Ballroom is decked in golden and blue adornments, and packed full of Masked couples. While I've seen most of Court, their extravagant masks shielded their most of their identity's.

We mingle about for a bit, mostly so I can find the vantage points listed on the Map. The music picks up.

Pierre brings me to the Dance floor. The Men & Women take their positions respectfully. I'm able to move about with minimal damage to my partners footing. I found myself focusing more on not injuring Peirre's and other dancers feet, rather than enjoying dancing. I loved to dance around in the fields back in Lupiac between chores.

After the third dance, I'm parched and excuse myself to grab a drink. Pierre stems off to speak with an acquaintance of him.

A group of women nearby gossip on.

"Those Musketeers are so ruggishly handsome." One says.

"And dreamy." one pips up.

"And trouble. They always seem to be caught up in some kind of trouble. They can be brutes." Other points out.

"I could handle a bit of trouble." Another chirps in.

"Speaking of Musketeers, did you hear? The king allowed a Female into their ranks."

They all shake their heads "How improper."

"What a ghastly notion. Has she no shame? What father would allow such a conduct?"

I rolls my eyes and take a sip of my drink, turning to find Pierre. Instead I come face to face with Athos.

"Daria." He takes in my evening wear with momentary intrigue.

"How'd you know it was me?"

He chuckles "I would know those eyes anywhere. Also, I was there when the dress & mask were delivered. You look..." he takes me in once again "great." He abruptly adds.

That was a bit of a let down but I'll keep that to myself.

"How goes guarding the King."

"Bout the same as it ever does, as you would know. How's your evening been with he Viscount?" We both glance over to Pierre who is deep in conversation with a man.

"It's been nice. Lots of successful non foot stomping while dancing, thanks to a certain someone."

"I'm glad I could help lessen the injury's at tonight's Ball."

One of the other Musketeers calls Athos over.

"I have to go. Stay out of trouble."

"I always do."

He gives me a disbelieving look and leaves.

Pierre comes back a few minutes later. He looks a bit stressed.

"Everything alright?"

He gets close to whisper in my Ear.

"The Cardinal has Arrived. His wing should be mostly emptied except a few men on guard. If you can manage past them, his office is on the map. That's your best option of finding something."