Chapter 37 | Un Cadeau D'un "Ami"

The next few weeks passed in a flurry. I was on regular duty by the King side, on his and the Queen request. He and Aramis have been glued to each others hips. Charles was at the Garrison practically everyday. The men have slowly let me in on their chats and the occasional night out. Aramis "the love doctor" helped my brother get his mind of Constance but every time she was around to visit, he was a mutterymess. It would be sad if it wasn't so funny. Athos, Porthos and Aramis have become my close confidants. Which is why it may not be smart I continue my letter with a certain Viscount. He has been visiting friends out of the country.While we did usually discussed the case, I notice his attention has felt a lot more... personal lately. It was a welcome one, as I had grown almost giddy every time a letter arrives. Hoping it's from him.

I waited at the gate this morning, waiting for the same young messenger to hand me the days mail. Not even a minute later, he comes and hands me the stack. I sift through it, handing mail off to their owners. Finally, I saw it.

Viscount De Rohan

I tear open the letter.

Dear Daria,

The ball is this Saturday. I have a present coming to you later today. Before you try to deny the gift, It is my dearest wish that you keep it for it'll be useful for the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing you in person again, feels ages I've looked upon you. I hope you and your brother Charles are well. I have no further news against the Cardinal, but I think the Ball will be an eye opening experience. At the very least you will het a laugh at my ridiculous dancing skills. Since this is the last letter between us, I bid you ado.

Sincerely,
Pierre

He's signed off his past 4 letters with that, his first name. The past 2 using mine. It was a small thing, but made our letters much more intimate.

I go on about my day. I spend much of the evening on the Kings Guard at the Palace. When I return later in the afternoon, Charles and Porthos are having a drinking contest. Aramis cheering them on. Athos is sitting a table away.

"Daria! Sister join us" Charles pours me a drink.

I take the cup from him but shake my head.

"Another night"

They go on with their game.

I join Athos at his table, but sit on the other side at the very end. He is humored.

"Why are sitting down there?"

I look around and then point at myself "Me? Does this mean I get permission to intrupt your brooding session?"

"Forget it. I've changed my mind."

I scoot down across from him.

"No, no. Can't take it back now."

He smirks taking a drink.

"How did the hunting trip with the King go?" He asks.

I sigh and take a big chug of the liquor.

"That good?"

I nod "He almost shot Lord Hugot. Twice."

"Well than he's improved. Last hunt I went on with him, he did shoot shoot Lord Emery."

"No?"

He nods "Right in the shoulder."

"That man should not be allowed to hold a gun. For our safety."

Constance arrives in the Yard, holding a very big box. She looks around.

"Constance, how good to see you again. What brings you here?" I wave her over.

She smiles and heads over. When she's close enough, she hands me the large box.

"What's this?"

"A gift from a certain Viscount of yours?" She wiggles her eyebrows at me. I look over to see slightly suprised Athos.

I stand and set the box onto where I just sat on the bench. I unravel the large bow and remove the lid. A small gasp escapes my lips.

Inside the box sits a beautiful Deep Purple Dress. A Black Lace mask sits on top of it.

"He asked my father and I to make the dress a few weeks back."

"It's amazing. Thank you Constance. I have a planned Visit with your father tomorrow, I'll make sure to give him my compliments then."

A large burp sounds from behind me. My brother has terrible timing.

Charles face reddens when Constance looks over. She has a small look of distaste on her face. From what little I've seen of her, I've picked up she's on the more civil side. My brother however, lacked more manners than common sense allowed.

She turns back to me "So..."

"What?"

"I hardly think a man who buy one of our most expensive fabrics for his friend."

I close the box and pull Constance away from where Athos & the others can hear me.

"Is something wrong?"

I couldn't tell her the truth. While I had trust in her, she was near the Queen. If the Cardinal was behind all of this, it could put her and her Father in danger. Something I wouldn't allow.

"I like to keep my contact with the Viscount Private."

She nods "Of course, but just between you and I. I've seen the Viscount turn down woman after woman, never has he requested a gift or smiled so much when speaking of her."

She pats my arm and then looks back over to my Brother for a second before heading home.

Her words left a strange feeling in my belly. Maybe the dress was just an effect of the plan, but it warmed my face to think there was a more sincere plot behind it.

I return to the table, picking up the box.

Athos watches me, saying nothing. I can see the questions behind his eye, while he'd like to deny it, he's easy to read when you hang around him enough. I was far too tired for much more talk so I finish the rest of my drink and head to my room.

I place the box on my dresser and change into my nightgown. I danced around with myself. Trying to remember those dances from what felt like years ago. I had went to my fair share of town dances, this was a Royal Ball. I stumbled around a bit and got frustrated so I just went to bed. This was gonna be a disaster.