Chapter 16 | Une Rencontre

When we arrive at the tavern, the men disperse into their respective groups. I follow Porthos and Aramis to a Table. Athos stays back by the door at first. His jaw clenched.

"Don't mind him." Porthos notices my confused look.
"He's not very sociable." Aramis adds.

Porthos orders a round for us. I see Athos go sit in a far secluded corner. A female server bringing him a drink, unasked for. As if part of her daily routine, or I suppose his.

When the drinks are set in front of us, Porthos and Aramis go for it and start drowning the sludge down. I had had alcohol before, but only very in small portions during a nice dinner or two. Whatever wa sin this cup had a potent smell and a tint one shade away from completely pitch black.

"Don't worry, it taste better than it look." Aramis assures me.

I shrug and take a big gulp of the ale. It stung my throat, and made my face flush a bit. It wasn't half bad.

The three of us talked for awhile but I kept glancing over every time a server brought Athos another drink and another. He was leaning on the table with his hand holding up his head. A few over bar goers came and chatted with Porthos and Aramis, I took the chance to sneak away and over to the lowley musketeer in the corner.

"May I join you?"
He is clearly drunk, his movements not as precise as I'd seen before. He motions to the empty seat across from him. He doesn't look at me. He looked beyond restless.

"Whats that?" He motions to me.

"What?"

"Your necklace."

I look down and see my ring on a chain has slipped out of my dress.

"Oh it's my engagement ring." I say it somewhat soft. As if it's some sort of secrect.

"You're engaged?"

"Yes, I suppose I am."

"You suppose?"

"I am." I reaffirm.

He just nods, uninterested.

I feel the need to fill the silence now.

"His name is Freddy. He's a red guard."

This snaps his head up.

"What?"

"He's who I was visiting at the red guard yard that you pointed me to."

He starts laughing. His eyes glazed.

"What's funny?"

"Oh so many things. Not only are you a sword fighting woman, you're also engaged to a brain numbed Red Guard."

I fidget with the ring. Giving his an exasperated look.

"Brain numb?" My body chills as I hear his voice from behind me. Frederick's voice.

The Female Musketeerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें