Chapter 35 | Tuer Ou Être Tué

The Sisters and ladies begin to scream. Gun shots begin to fly towards us, one of the sisters drops limp back into the water. Just a foot away from the queen. Blood splashed onto her. She screams in horror. Aramis is the first to reach her, shielding her along with a few other musketeers. They hurry her out of the water and begin heading back towards the Convent. Athos and I begin to head up the hill. The first man we saw moments ago, was running to try and line up another shot. I grab my gun. I was able to get a clear view of him, and pull the trigger. It hits him square in the chest. He drops.

The remaining Musketeers shoot at whatever moves. We begin to also retreat, catching up to the group that had the Queen. A few more shots ring out from both sides but no one is hit.

We all manage to make it back into the Convent and inside to safety. Aramis takes the queen into the Chapel, where Mother Superior leads a prayer. The musketeers take positions at enteryways. Aramis, Athos and I stand just out of view of a window.

"There is more men out there than before. It semes to be some small militia." I suggest.

Aramis agrees "Yes, but why do they want the queen dead."

"They might not need a reason if they are getting paid good enough." Athos adds.

"Whatever their reason, they are still surrounding us. They may not try to wait us out for long. We need back up." I reload my musket.

"I'll go. I'll take a man with me, and we'll try to thin the crowd. I won't take the queen, just in case we are caught or overpowered. It'll be awhile till I get back, hopefully before dawn. You and Aramis take charge of the defense. Try to keep them out for as long as you can." Athos grabs some extra ammo and leaves with another Musketeer.

Aramis and I act quickly, finding what wood we can and boarding up the doors and windows. The gunfire has stopped, but the men outside still stand within eyesight.

As the silence stretches on from outside, the cries from wounded Musketeers and frightened women are all that is heard inside.

The Queen sits shaken, mud and blood decorating her white gown.

Hours pass, and the men outside haven't moved and inch.

The cries have halted, and many of the Ladies have fallen asleep. The Queen sat in one of the pews staring numbly at the Bible in her hands. Aramis, who is sitting across from me, leaned against a wall, stares at her. Worried. His fingers twitch helplessly, as if wanting to reach out and comfort her. I don't know how I missed it before, Aramis always seemed a bit antsy when we were near the lonesome Queen.

Hoping to ease some of his worry, I stand up and gingerly walk over to the Queen. Sitting beside her on the Pew.

She closes the Bible in her hands.

"How are you fairing Madam?"

"I am well, a bit stirred but well. This is not the first attempt on my life. Nor is it the first in the last two weeks, but you already know that."

"You have bore it as most others could not. You are very brave."

"Thank you for saying so, but it is you Musketeers who are due all the credit. Any safety I feel is at your doing." She takes a deep breath, some color regained in her cheeks.

I leave her to herself and go back over to Aramis, who thinks his small smile is hidden in the darkness. While I see the danger in his fancy, it pleases me to know I could help in some small way.

The night stretches on, the night life making their presence known. I hear a rustling noise coming from a hall. Then a BOOM! The sound of rocks hitting the ground sends us running towards it. When we get into the cellar we are met with a group of masked men. They begin shooting at us, but we take shelter behind either side of the doorway.

As the shootout continues, the gunfire on their side stops cometlely. They are defeated.

"More of them will come."

Aramis agrees but states "They won't be stupid enough to all come from the same direction. They are splitting up, try to press in.

Gunfire comes from above us, and we run back upstairs. The shuttered windows and doors now left with holes throughout them.

I get onto my hands and knees. Though looking at me confused for a moment, Aramis sighs and does the same. We crawl towards the queen, who is huddled on the ground wide eyed. Tears streak her face. One of her Ladies maids lays dead a few feet from her.

"Aramis, take her to her room, stay low."

He does as I say and as they leave, I yell towards the other men.

"We will sit idle no longer. Search for a position, the higher the better. Find a shot and take it. A few of you go to the basement and take care of any that come through. Go!"

My voice is loud and demanding, so much so that as I speak, for once they listen. They all scatter.

We are able to hold the attackers off for another 4 hours. One after another, they came in groups. But none succeeded.

As the sun rose in the sky, once more then men came at us. But soon after the gunfire arose, the sound of heard of horses sounded in the distance.

Back up was here.