Chapter 36 | les Imbéciles Dansent

While the Musketeers showing up started attacking from one direction, we went outside and started from the other. In less than 10 minutes, we had taken them down. Any who survived were being sent back to Paris, beside the man who led them. That man is brought into the yard. Where Porthos, who came in with the rest, not so nicely sets him in a chair. He takes some rope and retrains the man. He looked very gruff, much like Treville and Athos. Definitely a Soldier.

"So you're a soldier?" It's like Athos was reading my mind.

The man doesn't answer. He doesn't look scared one bit.

"Who sent you?"

Nothing.

"Porthos."

With Athos's encouragements, Porthos walks over and kicks the chair over.

The man goes flying back with a larg Thunk!

He struggles for a moment angrily but still says nothing. I noticed something fell from his pocket. A peice of fabric. But not just some scrap. No, this one was very distinct. It was the one the man with the Bow held.

I walk over to where the man lay and stick the mask in his face.

"If was you that day wasn't it?"

The man smiles.

"You know him?" Athos asks.

"In a way. This is the mask the man wore that tried to kill the Queen that day in the Palace."

Porthos holds the man's money pouch, weighing it in his hand.

"This is a lot of money to be carrying around." He opens the bag and pulls out a handful. "This is Spanish coin."

Athos grabs one and inspects it "A man who was able to gain access to the Palace grounds, and was able to track down the whereabouts of the Queen. Now this large sum. This is coming from someone high up, someone near the king.

The man still refuses to talk, but Treville thought it best we wait till we're back in Paris to interrogate further. He and a few of the musketeers, rode ahead with prisoner. Those of us left behind, began to pack our belongings and prepare to leave. I met up with Athos in the hall near the Queens room. Now that all was safe, we were going to inform her it was time to get ready to go.

I knock on the door and open it, peaking my head in. Then I freeze and shut it right back.

"What's wrong."

I move out of the way, letting him peak his head in. He does the same motion I did a moment before.

"I didn't believe he could be that stupid."

I go through the door and pull Athos in quickly with me.

"Aramis!" I keep my voice low enough but to where he can still hear me.

A half naked Aramis groggily wakes up.

"What?"

Athos and I look over at the Queen who lays beside him asleep.

"You didn't?" Athos pleads for one answer but we all know the true one.

Aramis gets out of bed and starts putting his clothes back on.

"This is grounds for Treason, men have been hung for less. Are you insane?" Athos's temper was high.

"I said to protect her, not bed her!" I punch him in the shoulder.

He cradles it, still half asleep.

"Please Mother, Father." He didn't take us very seriously.

Athos looks ready to strangle him, so I step in beaten them.

"It's not just yourself you should be worried about Aramis. What about her?" I point to the Queen.

"What do you mean?"

"The King. If it's found out she bedded another man, she too could be condemned to death for Treason. You've risked not only your life but hers."

This time his face goes cold. His eyebrows knit into worry.

"I-I didnt think. I-"

I put my hand on his arm.

"I know, I know."

"No one outside this room can know." Athos insists.

The two men turn to me, the newer of the group.

"Of course. I would never betray you, or her."

Aramis gives me a grateful smile.

Athos and I leave the room and stand outside of it while they get ready. When the door opens, the Queen is in her royal garments and Aramis trails behind her.

After securing the Queen into her Carriage, we were on the road back to Paris.

When back in Paris, the King imprisons Count Mellendorf & his daughter Charlotte. The Cardinal supposedly found letters from him to the Assasins. They even linked him to the first attempt on the Queens life. I didn't buy it one bit but I stood there, jaw clenched shut.