Chapter 24 | La Piste Et Le Procès

The king practically fell out of his throne from laughter. The Cardinal just as amused.

"Don't be absurd." The Cardinal says.

"I don't think it's absurd to atleast get my trial. Your Highness. I should have every right to earn my commission just like ever Musketeer that stands beside you my King. All I ask if for a chance."

The King taps his chin comically for a moment. Then stands.

He walks down to where I stand and circles me. I hold my head high and my jaw set.

"Why not."

The Cardinal eyes widen "What?"

I hear Charles whisper it too from just off the side of the room. I don't waver.

"Your Majesty, this is ridiculous!" The Cardinal tries to reason with him.

The king takes his seat again. He just rolls his eyes jokingly.

"Yes, it is. I agree. But that what makes it so entertaining!"

"But with the security threat?"

He waves the man off "there will always be someone who wants Me and my family dead. My Musketeers will find him. Isn't that correct Treville?"

Captain Treville steps up beside the throne "Of Course."

The king leans over to him "What do you think Treville? Of this Woman as a potential Musketeer?"

Treville assesses me, then turns to the king.

"If she proves herself, I don't have a problem with her under my command."

"Well there's that then, i will choose your trial. Perhaps a fight? Sword and hand, the good old fashioned way. But who shall you fight?"

The Cardinal leans and whispers in the Kings ear. The king nods and turns back to me.

"Since it's a Musketeer you wish to be, i think it fair you fight a Red Guard. The Cardinal will produce his most skilled fighter in three day time."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." I curtsey.

"Don't thank me yet girl. While this is all amusing, you will take full responsibility in the outcome of this trial. In any good fight, death and injury are almost certain."

"I know the risks, I accept them all."

"Very well. Now go" he dismisses us.

When we are out in the haul, Charles walks ahead angrily. Constance and her father walk arm in arm talking. I catch up to Charles.

"What's wrong?"

"Are you serious Daria? What's wrong!?" He raises his voice, something he's rarely done to me. A few Courtiers turn and look, more sour faces made in our direction. He lowers his voice.

"Suddenly you want to be a Musketeer?"

"I want to do something with my life. And for the first time in my life I know what I want. I can do alittle good as a Musketeer, I can do nothing spending my days inside my room, wishing the day away."

"Is that what you think I do?"

"It's what we both have always done. With Father around, everything seemed possible on that farm. We aren't those kids running around climbing trees, We are La Vielle's. It's time we both stop running from responsibility."

His head drops "I know your right. But I don't know that you see the real danger you face."

"What do you mean?"

"Assuming you walk from the fight alive or just even unscathed, you're a woman. This world doesn't treat them kind on a good day, unless you're rich. The fight doesn't end when the duel does."

"I know Charles. I have always known that, more than you can imagine. But I'd rather die trying than not trying at all."

The four of us walk back to the door we arrived in. Constance says goodbye to her father before turning to go back to the Queen. The men go out to the cart but Constance calls out for me to come back.

"Yes?"

"I know we don't know eachother very well, but I can see you're strong willed."

"Thanks?"

"I just want to warn you."

"About what?"

"The Cardinal is a very secretive man, but there's only so much he can keep hidden before things slip through the gossip mill. Be cautious of him. He doesn't like to loose. He will do anything to assure he wont. Extreme things." Her word are very quiet, as if someone is listening to us.

"Thank you for the warning."

I begin to walk out the door once again.

"Good luck, Daria." She says before retreating further into the castle.

On the way home, I mull over the day so far. In less than 24 hours I had done everything I said I wouldn't. I am my own walking contradiction. Maybe it was my Heart speaking over reason, maybe it was my usual pride making stupid decisions. Both could be true. Whatever the case I will not fail. The king had given me a chance, one few Men got and one no Women ever never had.

My Father would tell me that any choice I made was a good choice, if it came from good intent. But that the outcome could still be bad. It's what we decide to do with that outcome that defines us. You can walk away, taking the loss, or get up and keeping going ahead, fighting.

He always said I was a fighter, and he was right. So I will fight. I will do what I must, what I feel is right. And then I will live (or die) with the outcome. Good or Bad.