Prélude

Lupiac, France - 1614

It was a hot summers evening on a Small farm. All was quiet, and the farmhands had all gone home for the day.

Suddenly, metal clashes, sword to sword the two man hold strong. Their weapons each taking turns swinging at the other. I could hear their struggled grunts, I could see the sweat that beaded on their brow.

My brother falls on his back, hitting the ground with a thump.

I laugh. Which earns me a glare from him, my father follows his gaze, to my place in the tree above them.

My father smiles and helps up his son.

"Good job today Charles, you're getting better."

Charles frowns and drops his sword. He's 5 years older than me, but even at 10 he's tall. He huffs and kicks at the grass beneath his feet.

"No I am not. I never win. I want to be the best swordsman in the world!"

"And I want to be the best swordswoman in the world!" I add.

Charles glares at me again.

"That's not a real thing, Daria. Woman aren't allowed to fight."

I climb down the tree and stomp up to him, red faced.

"Uh huh!"

"No they aren't!"

"Yes the—"

"Stop." My father demands in a cool tone. We both stop immediately but continue to glare.

Father gets down on one knee to address us both.

"Charles, you will be an amazing swordsman one day. You're smart and strong and determined"

"See?" Charles grins confidently.

"And, Daria will be a skilled swordsman as well, if that's what she wants for she has the same attributes. I want you both to get strong and be able to protect yourself but I also want you to be whatever it is you desire to be. You have to work for the things you want."

Charles grin drops a bit but he seems satisfied enough by our father's statement.

He stands back up straight and picks up Charles sword, then he places the handle in my hand. It's too heavy for me to hold but he holds my hand to help steady it.

He puts his other hand on my shoulder and weaves the blade around in the air, mimicking some fighting moves.

"One day, my dear girl. You'll get your very own sword, and I will teach you everything I know."

He hands the blade back to Charles.

"But for now, the best way to learn is to watch"

I climb back up into the tree as they resume their sparring.

I watched their every move. Mesmerized by each swing of the sword. My fuel to learn more, burned brighter.