Chapter 20 | Séparer La Famille

I hated having to knock on his door, especially at this time of night. When he opened the door though, his smile was wide. His wrinkled face full of tired joy.

"Please, come in!" Mr Bonacieux insists.

The pair of us walk inside and he leads us to the dining room. An exhausted Charles yawns as he sits at the table. I stay standing near the doorway, prepared to be turned away.

"We are so sorry to bother you at this time of night, Mr Bonacieux. We were suddenly displaced from our Aunts house. I know it's a lot to ask from two near strangers, but do you know of a place we could stay for the night. We do not have much money." I explain.

His smile doesn't faulter, in fact it grows wider.

"I know just the place!"

"Where?"

"Here. You two will stay here, no charge. If one of you could just help me here and there, we'll call it even."

"That would be amazing!" Charles says.

I shake my head "You must allow us to pay you something, I insist."

"I won't hear a word of it. I have plenty of space with my daughter gone and would love the company" The old man insists.

I would fight, but with my corset tearing into skin and my energy diminished I bite my tounge.

He takes us up the stairs and shows Charles to an empty guest room. Charles gives me a hug and closes the door.

Mr Bonacieux and I walk past a few doors to the end of the hall. When he opens the door, it's not empty like the other one though.

"It's my daughter room, she rarely spends a night lately but she won't mind."

"Really it's on I could sleep on—"

He puts a hand up to stop me.

"Good Night dear."

"Thank you, Good night." I say as he retreats down to his room.

I place my bag in a chair and fight with my forest for another 10 minutes before I am released from its clutches. I change into my night gown and lay down.

I spent the night mostly staring at the ceiling, cursing myself for getting into the bad graces of my Aunt. Because of me, Charles is out of a comfortable situation. I always had a way of bringing trouble wherever I go. Finally, I was able to tire myself a bit. But before I fell asleep I had decided that I would try to find Charles and I jobs and leave the case of the kings dead brother to the Musketeers. As curious as I was, they were more capable.

Right?