Chapter 13 | Un Plan Bien Préparé

When I got back to Adria's, I was thoroughly ridiculed by her for the state of my dress. I left out the other details of the day, in fear of giving the old girl a heart attack. I was however, banished to spend the rest of the week inside. Everyday I was subjected to spending hours embroidering. When I was done bleeding from my constant stabbing of the finger, I would sneak into the kitchen. I got acquainted with the kitchen staff, who were a lively folk. The cook, Miss Morris, demanded I help her in trade for sneaking me treats. I didn't fight the demand, I'd give the woman anything she wanted as long as i got my blueberry tart or macaron at the end of the day. My Aunt, allowed me to keep Shakespeare in their stables, so while she was taken care of, it wasn't without struggle. I would go out and brush her when I could, she was still quite spooked. Charles was forced to follow out Uncle around and help him. He hated his tasks, and much as I did mine. I rarely saw him these days, he would leave early in the morning and wasn't back till well past the time we went to sleep.

By Friday morning , I was restless. Adria stopped trying to get me to needle thread with her, my constant  cry's of pain from stabbing myself disturbed her peace. So I went into the kitchen, Miss Morris was cleaning up from breakfast. I sat at the table in the kitchen and stared out the window. The day was clear.

Miss Morris joined me at the table, looking out the window for a moment then back to me. With Charles gone constantly, I had to talk with someone besides Adria, who had nothing better to do than gossip about people who I do not know. It's only been a few days, but she knows all about my adventures of my first day here. She doesn't approve much of my conduct, but I can tell she respects my character.

"You're quiet today dear."

I face her and shrug. "Whats there to talk about that we haven't discussed already. I haven't been anywhere or done anything new since yesterday. There was never a boring day on our Farm. Too much to do. I just thought, atleast from what I've read in books, Paris would be more exciting."

"And so it is. But you wouldn't know that cause you've been too busy staring at the crows."

"Adria said I must stay here."

She scoffs "This is stopping you why? You're a young woman now Daria. Not a child. If you want to sit here pouting like one, be my honored guest or I could help you."

"Help me?"

"Adria is a woman who is all about manners. Her husband is a close friend of the Cardinals. You just so happen to have a fiancé in the Cardinals Red Guard."

"So what do I need to do?"

She smiles and stands. Motioning me to follow. We walk to the counter and she has sett out some ingredients.

"We're going to make Palet de dames."

"Palet de dames? Whats that?"

"It's like a small flat cake with some sweet topping. No man can resist. It's also Adria's favorite sweet, so it doubles as a bribe."

I hug her "You're amazing!"

I grab an apron, and follow each of her steps. Soon we are working in tandem.

I ask Miss Morris if we could make extras, though I didn't tell her why. She agrees and we work on. The kitchen air smells sweet and it must carry throughout the house, because after a bit, my Aunt pokes in to the kitchen.

"What are you doing?"

"Baking." I respond rather smart. She doesn't seem to catch my tone.

"I see that. Why are you baking?"

I look to Miss Morris for the excuse. She steps right up to the task.

"The Miss and I are baking some Palet de dames for her beau and the other Red Guars. I know we are seeing him tonight, but what better welcome than a sweet treat from him sweetheart."

Adira looks pleased "I agree, I think that's a very good idea."

Miss Morris holds up a plate of cooled cakes and holds it up to her Madame.

"I of course made extra for the house. Would you care for one?"

Adira looks to the plate hungrily.

"I really shouldn't."

I add "How are we to know if they are tastey if someone doesn't try them?"

She nods "very well, I shall."

She bites into it happily and nods in approval.

"You've done quite well."

"Thank you Mam, I'll just finish up the last few." Miss Morris goes back to baking. I take off my apron and walk into the living room with my Aunt. I wipe some power from my nose and am once again Tsk'd at.

"You must change. I didn't buy those new dresses for them to stay hostage in your wardrobe."

She calls the maid in and I am pushed up the stairs and into my room. I'm helped into my dress. It's a pale blue, nothing spectacular, but pretty and simple. Once again I'm reminded of the pain a corset can cause, it's not a welcome feeling. The maid fixes up my hair into a braided updo. It was an odd feeling, someone else doing my hair. Father didn't know know hot to keep my hair tamed, so I never bothered much putting it up. It was often a tangled mess from running around in the wind. He said it was just like my mother's. A dark brown that was a shade away from black.

When I'm done, I walk back down to the living room, where my Aunt now sits on her chair. She stands and smiles.

"Very proper. Dignified."

Miss Morris comes from the kitchen holding a basket. She hands it to me. Adria wants me to take the carriage, but I convince her to let me walk. She informs me if I return in a similar state as a week ago, I will not be allowed back out for another week. I felt like a ridiculed child but agreed.

With that I'm off. Relishing in the breeze that hits me when I step from the door. Sure, I had been out in the back when I went to see Shakespeare but being swarmed by people and noise was different. I grew weary of watching people live their lives through the window.

I don't rush my pace, just stroll through the streets. Retracing my steps from when I left the training yard less than a week ago.