Chapter 10 | Le Deuxième Mousquetaire

The same man who held a gun to Charles is standing feet away from me, unarmed this time. As I approach the man on the street, he whispers something to the woman. She's gorgeous, her long hair and hood cover her face partially, but I could still see her beauty. She dips into an alley and the man turns in my direction to leave. He stops short when he sees me.

"Hello again."

He gasps and begins to back away and then books it in the opposite direction. I run after him.

He try's to loose me by jumping over a few crates but I keep my pace steady with his. He cuts through and alley and I follow. We end up in another part of town, and I can see him tiring out. I take the chance to kick the back of his leg. He tumbles and knocks into a giant of a man.

The tall man recovers and yells at the man on the ground.

"Watch where you're going!" His voices booms.

The man on the ground flinches and tries to crawl away. I push my foot into his ankle, pinning him in place. I address the large man.

"I'm sorry sir, it was entirely my fault."

The man on the ground yelps and pleads to the man.

"Yes, it was her fault! She's insane! She attacked me, unprovoked!"

The large man looks to me, curiously "Is this true?"

I hold my foot steady on he man's ankle "That I'm insane? That's more of an opinion. As for our current predicment, this man is a theif. Him and his buddies robbed my Brother and I just outside Paris."

"Ah well then. Please continue." He backs away.

I take my foot off the man's ankle and pull him up from the ground by his collar. He tries to swig at me and I grip his arm, twisting it behind his back.

"Where's my ring?"

"I-I don't know what you're talking about."

I twist the man's arm a bit more.

"Wrong answer!"

He yelps again "Stop! Ok I'll tell you. My partner has it, but I can get it for you! I'll show you!"

I release him. The large man stands behind the man. His presence keeping the man stiffly where he stands.

"I'll show you. I promise." His voice is shaky.

"Lead the way."

The large man places his hand on the back of the man's neck.

"I'll help you, just so you don't get lost."

I nod a thanks to him and her shoves the man ahead of us. "You heard the Lady, lead the way."

"I'm Porthos by the way." He holds a large hand out.

I take it and give it a hearty shake "Daria La Vielle."

"So this man and his friends robbed you and your brother?"

"Yes, though he doesn't look so scary without his little gun buddies." I shout so the man can hear us.

"Holding a gun up to a Woman? Not very gentlemen like." He also shout to the man.

The man leads us a few blocks away and into a dark alley. The same group that robbed us, in the same clothing and masks, sit idley in the alleyway. Sifting through their stolen treasures. They all turn when our trio walks in. Immediately they grab their weapons and point them at us. Our guide runs and hides behind the group. Porthos and I put our hands up.

"What do you want, wench?" A man in the middle points his gun to me. It's the same aged, and scratchy voice from the day before. He holds a gun up to me yet again.

"I want my Ring back."

He smiles and a look register in his eye.

"I remember you. The sweet little thing from our last little trip." He holds up his hand, my father's ring sitting on it. "It couldn't be this one. Could it?"

I step towards him, and another.

"Stop right there!" He demands.

I smile and take another step, then another. I'm a mere two feet away. The Gun a few inches from my chest. I stand calmly in front of the man, my hands still in the air. I exchange a glance with Porthos, who seemed to understand my silent plan.

"What are you waiting for?" I dare him.

He hand shakes a bit and he looks to me confused "Are you insane lady?"

"I'm really getting sick of that question. But to answer again no, I just needed to distract you."

"What?"

On my cue Porthos barrel towards a small group of the men. Knocking swords and guns to the ground. He knocks a few unconscious and draws his weapon. A musket, at the rest. I knock the gun out of the man's hand and swing my fist at him. He falls to the ground, rubbing his cheek. Footsteps come up behind me. Aramis, breathing heavy has his musket out aswell. Aramis and Porthos share a look of recognition.

"Funny running into you here my friend" Aramis smiles at Porthos.

Porthos shrugs "I'm always where the action is."

"You two know eachother?" I ask.

Aramis looks amused "I should hope so. A Musketeer hardly forgets his fellow comrade."

"You Musketeers are everywhere."

"You move fast. Only in the city a day and you've already uncovered and busted a thieving operation." Aramis motions to the group of men.

"Accidental, I swear. But back to why I'm here" I turn back and the man with the ring kicks me in the gut. I stumble back but Porthos catches me.

"Ugh. You take the rest of them in." I stand upright and begin running after the man "This one's mine!"