Chapter 32

Malachi's POV continued: 

I still remembered those days from our childhood, the days when the world seemed brighter, lighter, when her laughter echoed like music in my ears. My own days had been shrouded in darkness back then, but she had been my guiding light, my beacon of hope in a sea of despair.

We would meet under that tree of hers, the one she loved so much, its branches stretching toward the heavens like eager fingers reaching for the stars. And in those stolen moments beneath its shade, we would talk and laugh, sharing our dreams and fears, our hopes and aspirations.

Those memories were etched into my soul, a reminder of the bond we shared, a bond that time and distance could never sever.

I wouldn't give up on her, wouldn't give up on us. Because no matter how far apart we may be, no matter the obstacles that stood in our way, our love was worth fighting for. And I would fight with every fiber of my being to win her back, to show her just how valuable she truly was, even if it meant waiting for eternity.

I fidgeted with the ring I had kept with me, feeling its weight in the palm of my hand, a tangible reminder of the promise we had made so long ago. It was a day like any other, yet it was etched into my memory with the clarity of a crystal-clear stream. We had sought solace beneath the branches of the old tree, its ancient roots grounding us in a world of our own making.

She had been distraught that day, her spirits weighed down by the cruel reality of her family's indifference. They were preparing for an event, an engagement party for a family they deemed worthy of their company. But she had been excluded, cast aside like a forgotten relic, her heart heavy with disappointment and longing.

I remembered the tears glistening in her eyes, the way she clutched the ring tightly in her trembling hands. It was her mother's ring, a cherished heirloom she kept with her in times of distress. And as she held it out to me, her eyes pleading, I felt a surge of emotion rise within me.

"You are the only one who listens to me!" she had exclaimed, her voice tinged with frustration and sadness. "Here!" she had said, pressing the ring into my hesitant hands. "What am I supposed to do with this?" I had asked, bewildered by her sudden gesture of trust and vulnerability.

"Well, give it to me, of course," she had responded, her tone matter-of-fact. But when I tried to hand it back, she stopped me, her expression exasperated. "No, not like that, and not right now," she had clarified, her eyes searching mine for understanding.

Confusion had clouded my thoughts as I struggled to comprehend her intentions. Why was she giving me a ring? And then, as she spoke, her words resonated with a clarity that cut through the fog of uncertainty like a beacon in the darkness.

"You give this to me when we get married," she had declared, her voice steady with conviction. I had been stunned into silence, my mind racing with a million questions and doubts. Did she truly want to marry me? Could she see past my flaws and imperfections to the person I yearned to become?

"What? Do you not want to marry me?" She asked completely vulnerable all of the sudden. The fiery little girl who had just proposed marriage to me was gone. Her vulnerability had caught me off guard, stripping away the facade of bravado to reveal the fragile heart beneath. And in that moment, I had known without a shadow of a doubt that I would do anything to make her happy, to be worthy of her love and trust.

"Of course I want to marry you!" I had blurted out, the words tumbling from my lips before I could stop them. But even as I spoke, a part of me had hesitated, doubt flickering in the depths of my soul. What was I saying? I knew my life was not one meant for happiness. But maybe, one day, it could be.

"It will take a long time. Could you wait for me?" I had asked, my voice tinged with uncertainty. And when she had smiled, her eyes alight with hope, I had known that I would work for her for as long as it took, holding onto the ring as a symbol of my commitment to her, and to our future together.

Many times, I had regretted making that promise to her, had wished that I could go back and erase the words that had bound me to a future I wasn't sure I could fulfill. There were times when I believed that the best thing for her, for us, was for me to stay far away, to spare her from the pain and turmoil that seemed to follow in my wake.

But that promise, that sacred vow we had exchanged beneath the branches of the old tree, it was always there, lurking in the recesses of my mind like a silent guardian. It was a constant reminder of the person I aspired to be, the man I longed to become, for her sake and for mine.

In the darkest moments of my life, when I felt as though there was no way out, no light at the end of the tunnel, I would close my eyes and remember her. I would remember the way she looked at me, with unwavering faith and unconditional love, seeing something in me that no one else could.

She had believed in me when I couldn't believe in myself, had seen potential where others saw only flaws and shortcomings. And in those moments of doubt and despair, her memory was my guiding star, leading me back from the brink of despair, reminding me of the promise I had made and the love we shared.

She was my beacon of hope in a world shrouded in darkness, my anchor in the stormy seas of life. And no matter how far apart we may be, her love would always be my guiding light, guiding me home to her, where I belonged.

I had worked tirelessly, not just for my own redemption, but for hers as well. For the girl who had breathed life into my darkened soul. I had transformed myself from a mere assassin, a puppet bound by strings of duty and obedience, into a warrior, one who fought not for orders, but for his own convictions.

I had fought tooth and nail to make this world a better place, to carve out a path of righteousness and justice where once there had been only chaos and despair. But more than that, I had fought to become a man worthy of her, a man who could stand by her side as an equal, as a partner, as a lover.

For years, I had honed my skills, sharpened my mind, and tempered my spirit, all with one goal in mind: to return to her, to fulfill the promise I had made beneath the shade of the old tree. And finally, I had believed myself ready, ready to come back to her, to lay my heart at her feet and pledge myself to her forever.

But I had let jealousy cloud my judgment, let it whisper lies and half-truths into my ear. When I heard of a prince courting her, my heart had twisted with envy, my thoughts consumed by fear and doubt. And in my haste, in my foolishness, I had rushed things, had acted out of turn, and now I was paying the price for my folly.

The consequences of my actions weighed heavily upon me, a heavy burden I bore alone. I had let my insecurities get the best of me, had allowed doubt to poison my thoughts and cloud my judgment. And now, as I stood on the precipice of losing her forever, I realized the true cost of my mistake.

But even as despair threatened to consume me, even as I faced the consequences of my actions, one thing remained clear: I would not give up. I would fight to win her back, to prove to her that I was worthy of her love, even if it meant facing my demons head-on and confronting the darkest parts of myself. For she was worth every sacrifice, every hardship, every trial and tribulation. And I would not rest until she was mine once more.

A/N: Hope you all enjoyed the chapter; I will be getting back to Elara's POV next week! 

Also, I will be graduating college next week and then spend a month traveling. I will still try to update each week but it may be slightly more variable this next month or so.  But don't worry, I won't stop until the story is finished. Thanks for understanding!