chapter six

Caroline walks into her bedroom ready for bed having a magazine in her hand sitting on her bed with her back to the window.

Suddenly she hears movement behind her, the sound of her window opening. She stopped what she was doing slowly turning to she Matt jumping up scared.

"Hey." Matt says.

"God, what are you doing here?!." Caroline asks her heart still racing from being scared.

"Uh, your window was open." Matt points to her window. "I thought you should now."

"Not funny." Caroline moves to close her window.

"Look, earlier today I lied." Matt confesses to Caroline.

He moved his hands over his face trying to find a way to say this without it actually coming off rude.

Matt moved further into Caroline's room.

"About?." Caroline asks making sure the window was locked and secure.

"About being in bed with you, we cuddled and it creeped me out." Matt says, awkwardly.

"It creeped you out?." Caroline turns from her window looking at Matt. "Did you just come over here to insult me or what?, because it's been a really long night."

"No! It's just that I- I don't like you like that." Matt stutters. "I never have, but." He pauses. "It was nice."

"What?." Caroline says, she looked at her feet with a blush crossing her cheeks.

"Being in bed with you, it felt nice." Matt says more confidently. "And so I sat thinking about it and I thought that I should tell you I stayed the night because you are all sad and alone and I felt bad for you."

Caroline's blush immediately goes away and is replaced with annoyance and hurt. "Well thank, 'cause I love being a charity case."

Caroline moves passed and around Matt making him turn around to Caroline.

"You can leave now." Caroline says to Matt.

"No, because I know with Vicky gone and my mom off with Pete whoever it's just me, so I know." Matt says making Caroline stop in her tracks.

The both of them shared a look in each other's eyes, Matt knew how it felt to be alone when he is alone.

•~🌘•~

In the woods near Fells Church, Damon sat there on a log felling guilt ridden and sad.

"I said get away from me!".

Damon saw the look on her face of fear but earlier of pain. He just wanted to hold her and take it all back. All the centuries of hurt, go back to that night and take it all back.

He felt like his chest was tightening, almost like he couldn't breathe. He hated this feeling since everything was heightened for vampires.

It felt like a heartbreak times 100.

"The look on her face.." Damon says out loud. "I..." He couldn't finish his sentence running his hands over his face.

"Everything felt so real what Katherine did back then and now.." the tears fell down Damon's face.

He just wanted to put his fist through something or rip something out of someone to make the pain stop.

Stefan approached his brother hearing every word he was saying.

"I'll leave now, you were right brother." Damon looks up at Stefan. "Alessia will never want anything to do with me after seeing her tonight, her ghost or whatever she is now."