Meet Broken Dakota

Ash looked pale and drawn; I hardly even recognized him. It seemed as if he had never smiled a day in his life and I couldn't even imagine him laughing two days ago are rushing around to make sure that I had a good night.

I took his hand. "I read your letter Ash." I began. "And I'll have you know...one, I am going to punch the living day lights out of you, two, I will never stop being your best friend...and three, I'm going to punch you twice."

I wasn't sure if he could hear me but I had no time to worry about looking stupid.

I sighed and squeezed his hand. "Your mothers alive so you need to come back, she'll need someone to take care of her."

I didn't have much else to say so I sat back as Bridge started talking to him. I was in another world, wondering what I would do when I went back to Baileys. I felt bad for leaving without telling her first but I had been too anxious to see Ash.

After about two hours of sitting and watching old Hannah Montana reruns on my phone, Bailey called me.

I answered the phone and left the room. "Hi." I said.

"Are you okay baby girl?" She asked me.

Those simple words made me break down. "I'm so worried. He's in a coma and I don't know how long he'll be out. I can't leave his side Bailey. I can't." I told her.

"I know honey but I'm worried about school." She said softly.

I shook my head even though she couldn't see me. "I don't care about school. I need to be with him. He's all I have." I said, my voice cracking.

"Dakota. You have us now. And you still have your mother." She sounded hurt but I didn't have time to think about that.

I sighed. I didn't feel like talking anymore. "The doctors coming." I lied. "I'll talk to you later."

I hung up the phone and went back into Ash's room. "You okay?" Bridge asked me.

I nodded. "I guess."

"Hey." There was a knock on the door. I looked up to see Kennedy standing there smiling.

"Hey Cliche." He said. "I brought you burgers and fries." He looked at Bridge and frowned. "I don't think I have enough for your friend."

"That's okay." He stood and stuck his hand out. "I'm Bridge."

Kennedy shook his hand. "Ken. Dakotas brother." He smiled at me.

I didn't have the heart to smile back. Once Bridge left, Kennedy came and wrapped his arms around me. "You know he'll be okay right?" He asked me. "If he's in a coma, that means he's healing."

"It's not that." I said into his chest.

He rubbed my back. "Then what is it?"

I looked up at his blurry face. "I think...I think my mothers a prostitute."

His eyes widened.

"She always talked about doing it if we were tight on money. It was a joke at the time, but I just spoke to her on the phone and she's on a trip, she wouldn't have had enough money to do that from an ordinary job. And...she said her income only pays for one...Kennedy, I think my mothers giving me up." I finally said it.

"I've never...cried so much in my life." I wailed. "Not even when I broke my arm."

Kennedy laughed. "Hey. Where's that strong girl that gorilla glued Jaces door shut? The girl who befriended an entire football team."

I smiled. "I'm still here. Just a little broken."

He squeezed me. "Well fix yourself. I can't have you falling apart on me."

I buried my face into his chest. "I don't know how."

He pulled my face up. "For starters. Lets find your mother."

"What?"

He pulled me up. "Come on. I'll get you to your mother. You can't do anything for Ash right now."

"Bu-"

"Come. On." He hissed pulling me out the door.

I sent a quick text to Bridge as I followed Kennedy out the hospital.

"Ask her where she is." Kennedy said.

"And you'll take me there?" I asked in disbelief.

"Relatively."

I texted my mother and asked her where she was. I waited for her reply as we sat in the car eating our lunch. "Thanks for coming." I told Kennedy.

"Yup." He replied.

My phone beeped.
"They're in..." my face fell. "She's visiting Times Square. She's in New York and she didn't even try to come see me."

Kennedy touched my arm. "Hey. We'll figure this out." He smiled. "And if worse comes to worse, You'll get to live with me."

I rolled my eyes. "I need to get back to Ash." He nodded and we got back out of the car.

"So much for that. Huh?" He said.

I snorted. "It's my mother. I shouldn't be surprised." I muttered.

He wrapped his arm around me. "Well, let's just take this day by day. I have to leave soon but I'll call you everyday." He promised.

We got back to the room and I screamed.

I stood staring at the empty room. "Where is he?!" I shrieked.

Kennedy grabbed my shoulders. "Calm down. If something happened, Bridge would have told you."

I nodded my head wiping my tears.

He pulled me to the nearest desk.

"We're looking for Ashton..." he looked at me.

"Pierce." I finished.

"Oh." The receptionist said smiling. "He just got moved to a new room in the ICU."

I couldn't even breathe a sigh of relief.

I thanked her and stalked off to the elevators. "Dakota." Kennedy called.

I whirled around on him. "I don't know what's happening to me! I'm falling apart! I can't stand it!"

"Just calm down and take deep breaths. Too many things have been happening to you. It's okay to feel upset, just don't stress yourself out. Please." He said. "You're only hurting yourself."

I did as Kennedy said, trying to calm myself down. "Maybe, I just need to be alone." I suggested.

"Definitely not." Kennedy said. "I'm staying the rest of the day and I'll be back this weekend. I'm your big bro now, I'm not gonna a let you fall apart."

I rolled my eyes at him. "You're only one year older than me, I'll be eighteen soon." I informed him.

He stuck his tongue out. I rolled my eyes and pushed him into the elevator.

We found Ash's new room and Bridge.

"Why didn't you text me?" I asked Bridge glaring at him.

"I'm sorry. We've only been here for five minutes." He told me.

"Well you scared me." I hissed going to Ash's side. He didn't look any better.

I smoothed his hair back and kissed his forehead.

"Hey Ken," Bridge said. "Why don't I show you around?" He asked.

Ken shrugged. "Will you be okay Dakota?" Ken asked. I nodded not looking away from Ash. "Have fun." I muttered.

QUESTION OF THE DAY (COMMENT BELOW)

FAVORITE HOBBY?