Meet May

Twice as many had people filled the back yard when I stepped out. They immediately broke into applause and began singing happy birthday to me.

I smiled, though it was a bit awkward; I always hated this part of birthday parties. I looked around at all the faces looking happily at me. To my surprise, even Talia was sitting in one of the lounge chairs smiling at me.

When she noticed me looking, she waved and gave me a shrug as if to tell me she was over all the pettiness. I smiled back and waved, glad that things would soon be smoothed over with her, but also wondering why the sudden change of heart.

After the singing was over, I thanked everyone and then approached Ash who was talking to someone. Her back was turned to me, so I couldn't see her face.

"You're good Ash." I said grinning; he could definitely be an actor. Either that, or I was just too stupid to see it coming.

Ash snorted. "Or maybe you're oblivious." He teased, smirking at me.

I punched his arm.

He winced glaring at me as I laughed. The girl turned just as I began to speak. "Who's your fri-"

I stopped when I realized who it was; I crossed my arms with a hard face. "May?"

The girl finally faced me, confirming my suspicions. She hadn't changed a bit, from her long brown waves that surrounded her round face, to her skimpy bikini.

May smirked at me. "Fancy seeing you here. It's no surprise really, you always did get what you wanted." She crossed her arms and looked me up and down with one eyebrow raised. " You know what? You're such a spoiled b-"

She didn't get to finish her statement. My fist connected with her nose and I heard a sickening crack. Five minutes into my party and there was already drama. And I'd caused It myself. I didn't mind though, I'd wanted to do that for years.

May glared at me in horror, clutching her nose. "Do you want to repeat that?" I hissed.

Nobody at school had known about my financial problems or my parents divorce. They all thought I was pretty well off since I always hung out with Ash and the football players.

I hated ignorant people and May was the worst. She was the one who lead the ambush against me freshman year. The one that lead me to Ash and away from any friendships with girls.

"Why would you bring her here?" I asked Ash, feeling hurt and betrayed.

"Dakota!" I hear a shout. Jace and his brothers were running to me but I ignored them, still staring at Ash, who was avoiding my gaze.

"Ash!" I exclaimed.

"She said she would be nice." Was his lame excuse; he couldn't even look me in the eye.

"Nice?" I clarified. "She stomped on my face wearing high heels." I reminded him harshly.

"She's better now," he tried to tell me."we started hanging out when you left. I can't control...how I feel Dakota."

"You guys are together?!" I exclaimed incredulously.

"Look, it's her birthday and-"

"Her birthday?"

Suddenly, May found her voice again. "Yes. It's my birthday and you always ruined it for me. Since middle school, all everyone cared about was that it was your birthday. Nobody cared about little old May."

I never knew she felt that way; I hadn't even known we shared a birthday. "You didn't have to bully me because of it. That was childish."

"No." She retorted pointing at her nose. "This is childish."