Meet His Personality Problem

Everyone was already in the breakfast nook when I arrived downstairs. In the Ace household, come as you are was an understatement.

Nobody was allowed to get pretty for breakfast, everyone was still in their pajamas and bed hair. Luckily, we were allowed to brush our teeth, or breakfast would be a very silent event.

"Good morning Dakota." Bailey and Diego greeted.

"Good morning." I replied, sitting down and eyeing the large platter of scrambled eggs hungrily.

The boys smiled and muttered good mornings to me. The table was so much smaller without the older boys. Spencer, Kennedy and Christian were long gone.

"Nice pajamas." Roderick said smirking. I looked down at my wrinkled shirt an pants from the previous day.

"It's a new style." I responded smoothly.

Roderick rolled his eyes.

"Now, before you start eating," Bailey spoke up. I looked at her cautiously, her tone of voice didn't sound good.

"Yesterday was an exception because you were hurt," she said, shooting Jace a glare, "but we try to keep guys and girls out of each other's rooms at night." She finished, looking at me sternly but apologetically.

I blushed and looked at the table, wondering why on Earth she couldn't have discussed it with me after breakfast. "I understand." I mumbled, trying to block out the snickering around me.

Jace scoffed from across the table. "I'm sure she hasn't had sex yet." He said aloud.

I gaped at him, as did his parents. He shrugged. "What? She's obviously a virgin." He said, shooting me a disgusted face.

"And coo-dos to her!" Bailey exclaimed. "I sure hope you are as well." She said, narrowing her eyes at him.

My face was burning hot at the turn of the conversation. Gregg didn't make it any better as he entered the nook and kissed my cheek.

I wanted to sink underneath my chair. Quintin was smirking at me and Bryson was trying not to laugh.

"I'm so sorry Dakota." Bailey apologized. I just nodded and silently began filling my plate.

"What did I miss?" Gregg whispered in my ear.

"Why are you here?" I retorted quietly.

He gave me a weird look. "Why would I leave? Breakfast is served." He replied nonchalantly.

"Remember our conversation?" I hissed at him.

He rolled his eyes. "You won't get rid of me that easily." He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me into a hug, causing me to smile even though I was still unhappy with him. 

"What are you two whispering about?" Jace asked. "There's no secrets at the table."

I gave him a horrified look. I couldn't believe this was the same Jace I a actually enjoyed myself with last night. I wondered for a moment if it had all been a dream but my argument with Gregg reminded me that it had happened. 

"What. Is. Your. Problem?" I hissed.

He gave me a fake smile. "Problem? who has a problem?" He asked, feigning innocence.

A phone rang at the table. Bailey jumped. "Ooh sorry, kiddos, gotta run."

Diego put down his napkin. "I guess I'll get ready for work." He probably just didn't want to be caught in the middle of whatever Jace was going through.

They both got up and left the table, but I wasn't paying attention. I was too busy glaring at Jace.

"Why are you being so rude?" I asked, disgusted.

He slammed his hand on the table. "Why are you even here Dakota? Are you using us?"

My jaw dropped and the back of my eyes burned. I leaned away from the table, never feeling so hurt and alone in my life.

"Are you serious Jace?!" Quintin exclaimed standing. "Don't talk to her like that!" He snapped.

Jace stood too. "Who's side are you on?! I'm your brother!" He shot an accusing finger in my direction. "She comes in and everyone goes goo goo ga ga over her." He said glaring at me. "She's not even that special."

Quintin took Jaces face and turned it to face him. "Jace. Are you drunk?!" He exclaimed.

Jace wrenched his face away and stormed out of the room. I looked down at the table, tears burning my eyes and my face burning.

"I'm not using you guys." I muttered to nobody in particular. Tristan and Roderick didn't even seem to be paying attention. They were playing their Nintendos and talking excitedly to each other as if this kind of thing happened all the time. Bryson was trying not to pay attention though I noticed he'd stopped eating.

Gregg wrapped his arm around my shoulders, but I shrugged him off. "I really just need to be alone." I said, before running off.

I practically crashed into my room and threw myself on my bed curling up into a ball. I was officially having the worst time ever. I missed my home even with the cold water and shared closet between my mother and myself.

I scrambled across my bed in search of my phone. I was anxious to hear one voice; a voice that never failed to soothe me.

"Ash. I want to come home." I said as soon as I heard the phone click  on the other end.

"Dakota, what's going on?" He asked though he sounded preoccupied.

"Ash. Are busy with your mother?" I heard a bunch of crashing and clinking in the background before he answered again.

"It's okay...Talk." He said still sounding distracted.

I sighed. "No. You sound really busy and honestly I'm only calling you to whine and...I needed to hear a familiar voice."

"Hey, Dakota you know I'm always here for you. My mother would understand." He assured me.

Before I knew it, I was crying and pouring my heart out to Ash. I told him about Gregg and staying up with Jace and then Jaces abrupt personality problem. I told him about Jaces accusation about me using them and how utterly alone I felt.

"That's sounds really hard Dakota, but you have a long way to go. You've got to make the best of it. You're a great girl, I know you will grow on them. You need to be patient." He advised.

"Think of it from their perspective. Say you were one of those guys...this new girl comes in with no money, no job, hardly any family left besides her handsome best friend. Everyone likes her and treats her like gold, but you can't help but wonder how long your family will have to entertain her-"

"Okay Ash, I get it." I said rolling my eyes.

He chuckled. "Just trying to see it from both sides. You know me."

"I miss you." I whined.

He chuckled. "I'll visit as much as I can. You know that." He assured me.

I sighed just as someone knocked on my door. "Dakota? It's Gregg!"

"Not now!" I hollered back.

"Actually Dakota, I really do have to go." Ash told me. 

I frowned. "Alright. I love you." I said pouting.

"Love you too." He replied before hanging up. I rolled over onto my stomach and buried my head in my arms.

Warm arms enveloped my body. "I have a key." He whispered in my ear. I didn't respond. "I also have to tell you something."

I groaned. "As if my life isn't bad enough."

He didn't laugh. "This is serious. I...have to leave."

I sat up pushing him off of me. "Leave?"

"I'm going to California."