Meet The Father

I wasn't sure I would be able to drive. I was crying so much that my vision was blurry.

I decided the best thing to do was just leave without saying goodbye. I felt like I was young again and my father was leaving us.

I knew everyone would be disappointed when they woke up to find me gone. Especially my mother, but I couldn't go back or I would probably stay. I couldn't stay either, my mother was trying and I was afraid if I let her alone, she would fall back into her old habits.

The rest of my drive was a blur. I arrived at the old apartment around seven.

My body was sore from sitting for so long and I was starving.

It was then that I realized we no longer lived there. I had no idea where the new house was and I didn't have my fathers number.

I texted my mother for it hoping she wouldn't get suspicious. Luckily she was still too tired to ask any questions.

Gratefully, I dialed the number she texted to me and waited as it rang.

"Who is this?" he asked immediately.

"It's Dakota." I responded. There was silence on the other end. "Dad?"

"Dakota." He breathed. "I haven't heard your voice in...are you coming home?" he asked.

"Dad, I am home. I need you to come get me. I'm at the old apartment." I told him.

"Give me ten minutes." He said.

I agreed and hung up. Jace was awake. I had three texts from him already. Then four, five, six, I clutched the phone to my chest as he resorted to calling me. My silent tears began to fall, then they turned into racking sobs.

I didn't sound like myself, it was like hearing another person. I cried and cried for my new family. I felt horrible for leaving and not saying goodbye, but I knew that having to say goodbye would have made me feel much worse.

My father arrived then and I ran into his arms forgetting everything that had happened between us. He held me tightly smoothing my hair down and murmuring to me that everything was fine. We got into his car and sat.

"What's wrong honey?" he asked. Those three words brought another wave of tears as I launched into my story, beginning from the moment my mother and I hit the streets.

-:¥:-Jace:¥:-

I woke up cold and immediately realized that Dakota was gone. I was about to go to her room when I saw the paper on her vacant pillow.

I stared at it frozen in my spot. I couldn't make my hand move to pick it up. I knew I couldn't read it alone.

With a quick pep talk I snatched the letter up and raced downstairs. I pressed the button on the buzzer that would sound in everyone's room and wake them up.

I knew for a fact that Dakotas mother was planning on staying a few days to catch up with my mother. Dakota had left us.

They all slowly filed into the breakfast nook looking grumpy. Even Dakotas mother.

"What's wrong Jace?" my mother asked yawning.

I held up the letter and she began looking around for Dakota.

"She's gone." I said feeling dejected. "She left a note but I don't want to read it alone."

Kennedy took the note from me and opened it. He took a deep breath. "Jace, when you wake up, you'll probably hate me but I just couldn't say goodbye to you, or anyone for that matter. These few months with you guys have been wonderful. I've never felt so welcomed. I've never had so much fun. You guys opened up a world to me that I never even knew existed. I experienced so many amazing things. Jace, you were the sweetest boyfriend I've ever had, the best, you even topped a celebrity.
Kennedy, you're truly amazing, you're the big brother every girl would dream of.
Christian, you're still the most handsome, and you're the absolute funniest person I know, until I meet Gabriel Iglesias, but I'll probably hold off on that for a while.
Spencer, you're so talented, I can't wait to visit whatever monument you're going to design, I say that because I know you're gonna put me in it, Mount Dakota. 
Quintin, my first impression of you was that I wanted to kill you. Let's just say you really grew on me. Let Leigh know that I'll miss her
Bryson, you're the best dance partner I've ever had, ever. Never stop. 
Roderick, I know you hate me, but I never ever hated you and think you're a pretty cool kid, I just wish we'd talked more. 

Tristan, I didn't get to spend much time with you either, but I'm glad you welcomed me into your life.
Bailey and Diego, thank you so much for treating me like your own. I love all of you so much and I'll never forget you. I know I'm only three or four hours away, but don't count on seeing me, if I were to come, I would probably stay. And I can't stay. My mother is on her feet again and I need to help her stay there. There's a possibility of my father being back in my life and I don't want to miss a minute of it. We all knew I couldn't stay forever, we just didn't  know I would leave so soon. Though I'm technically your daughter now Bailey, I'm eighteen so see it as me moving out. I'm sure we'll all meet in the future. You guys are far too talented not to be out there. Diego, I'll be watching you every Saturday.
Please don't be mad at me, I'm going through enough punishment. I love you guys with all my heart. Jace, I need you to just forget about me and move on, long distance is painful and unfair. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but...I'm not a genie. I love you more than cotton candy. And I really really really love cotton candy. Trust me guys, I need I do this. 
And p.s. Jace, I put itching cream in your underwear again.

Kennedy slowly looked up at everyone. We were all in shock. I stood up abruptly 

"Jace." My mother reached out to me but I moved away and hurried out of the room.

I'd lost the one girl I ever loved.