Enlightenment

Hello! this is my first story so I hope you like it! I would love to know what you think so please feel free to comment, or maybe vote if you like? :) thanks

Lauren xxx

My original name was Jadeine Elizabeth Montgomery; my current name is Jade Maison. This is as close as I have ever gotten to the original since I began changing it. I have had many names over the last few centuries. People get worried if someone looks exactly the same for years so moving around is necessary. That way, people cannot become familiar with me and I don't get familiar with them, the humans I mean. Because I am not human. I am a vampire.

           Pulling my newly purchased red ford into the drive of the house which I had bought the previous week I sighed. I have not been living here. I own many properties across Britain and many more abroad. I chose this town because of the recent number of violent murders that had occurred here, which I believe to be the work of a newly made vampire. Someone had to stop them before they exposed us all, and if there was no one else around to do it then it would just have to be me. 

             This is how my race operates you see. The older and hence supposedly more wise and mature vampires keep the younger ones under control. If you make a new vampire you should look after them until they know how to survive on their own.You teach them how no control themselves, how to blend in with the humans, how to be invisible. Its a good system, it makes sense. That is, until it doesn't work. Occasionally you get the odd one, maybe their maker was killed or maybe they just left them. Whatever the case they almost always end up out of control, savage. 

              Still that wouldn't be an issue, at least for most of us who could just happily continue with our lonely existences and let them get on with things. Aside from the fact that after a while the humans start to notice that people keep getting ripped apart, and that cannot be allowed. Too many questions would be asked, questions that have difficult answers. 

              So you see where this is going. Whenever reports crop up in the media of unexplained killings, or any other activity that suggests the actions of a vampire who is out of control or maybe even purposefully breaking the rules, any older vampire in the area is expected to step in and sort it out before the situation escalates too far. This is were I come in. Sure, there was nothing physically forcing me to do it but it was simply one of the unspoken rules that everyone just followed. I could have ignored it and someone else probably would have stepped in, but I was looking for somewhere to move to anyway. I assumed this town was as good as anywhere. Plus, I needed a new project to occupy my attention.  

            The house was very average looking, tall and thin with three floors, four bedrooms, fully furnished. It was quite late, 11.31 to be precise. I always know what the time is. I purposely arrived late because I didn't want my new neighbors to see me drive up alone in the car. Especially when I wasn't supposed to be above the legal driving age. My story was that I just moved here with my single mum (who was non existent, I have been alone for a few years now). I was 16 years old (even though I was 18 when I was changed) because the younger that I say I am when I go to a new place, the longer I can stay without attracting attention. Although this also meant I had to start school in the morning.

*

            Weak sunlight filtered through heavy looking clouds the next morning as I walked through the school gates. Over the standard uniform, of black trousers, white shirt, and a dark red blazer, I was wearing my usual long, fitted leather coat and sunglasses. I left my long glossy black hair hanging freely past my shoulders and down my back. I had recently gone more modern, and had it layered, and spiked around my face, my fringe cut to the side.