Part 47

The sound of panicked voices shouting floated dimly through the haze. For a few moments I let them drift away, happy to be consumed by the blackness that clouded my mind. Something nagged at the edges of my awareness… something that I needed to remember… something terrible…

              Slowly the voices around me started to register and suddenly I was shocked by warm fingers touching my wrists and neck- searching for a pulse I realized. It took little effort to stop myself from reacting, I was already very weak and so tired…

“No nothing, she’s long gone. Feel how cold she is? We’d better go and find someone we can help...”

              I heard the sounds of the humans moving around me, something about how the noise echoed confused me for a moment before I realized- I was in an ambulance. I heard a door open and close as one left, but there was still one near me.  There was a soft sigh before a sheet was softly pulled over my head.

              I tried to focus and remember what had happened, how did I end up in an ambulance? Carefully I assessed how I felt… now that it was at the forefront of my mind it felt like every cell was on fire. Pain washed through me in excruciating waves, making me shudder and gasp in agony.

              I didn’t realize the sounds of the human organizing the medical supplies had abruptly ceased before I suddenly felt the sheet being ripped away from my face making my eyes snap open.

              His medical training immediately kicked in, leading him to try to reassure me , regardless of the fact that he had assumed that I was dead a second ago; “Miss? Don’t worry you-“his voice instantly cut off as he caught sight of my face; his mouth falling open in horror. I ran my tongue across my teeth to feel the sharp points of my fangs and then without conscious thought I had him pinned to the wall in the blink of an eye. He tried to shout out but my hand was firmly clamped over his mouth.

“What happened?” I demanded roughly, my voice coming out ragged and scratchy. He was trembling and whimpering softly so I shook him in an attempt to get a response. Eventually he seemed as if he was going to speak so I removed my hand, “Yes?”

“There- there was a fight- in the club and-“

              I froze on the word club, the memories instantly rushing back to me all at once. The club, the hunters and Jamie! My breath came rushing in jagged gasps as panic coursed through me uncontrollably, how could I forget? I realized that he was still talking but I could no longer understand any of the words, my legs felt terribly weak as I grabbed the front of his shirt, dragging him to the ground when he couldn’t support me.

              “Do you know where he is?” I managed to choke out; he only looked even more alarmed and confused so I continued, “Jamie! He- he’s about my age, dark clothes and hair… he- he was shot, in the stomach and I don’t know where he is!” I lost it so much at this point that I actually started sobbing. He was only shaking his head, still trying to pull away from me. Disgusted I pushed him away and stumbled towards the door which I threw open carelessly, I had only managed to get a few meters when my strength ran out again and I fell to the floor. Ignoring the agony that now seemed so insignificant I began to crawl instead.

              Dimly I heard someone shout my name but I ignored it; that was not the voice I was looking for. When a hand gripped my shoulder I tried to shake it off before the scent registered through the smoke filled air; Beatrice. Squinting upwards I spotted her looking down at me with an unreadable expression. Behind her stood a decidedly worse for wear looking Felix and to my surprise Melissa. Beatrice pulled me to my feet, holding on to me tightly to stop me from falling.