Part 25

I sat alone for the next few hours. The new blood caused energy to hum through my body and I wanted to make sure that I was completely in control of myself before I went back. The animal blood didn’t come close the sheer power of Jamie’s blood, after I had consumed that I had been completely intoxicated. I pushed away the part of my mind that demanded I go back straight away and drain the rest of it. My body craved even the thought of it but I would not allow myself to hurt him.

              Eventually I stood up and stretched out my limbs. I glanced down at myself and realized I could not go back into the house in that state. I might give everyone a heart attack.

              I followed the faint sound of water until I reached a small stream. I quickly rinsed my arms and face and cleaned my hair as well as I could, before tying it back from my face. I couldn’t get all of the blood off of my skin but it was the best I could do, so I’d just have to try and avoid people until I reached a bathroom.

              The sun was just rising above the horizon as I walked up the driveway.  I jumped back in surprise as the door flew open and Jamie stormed out.

“Where have you-“he stopped mid stride and stared at me in shock. “What happened?”

I tried to shrug light heartedly; “nothing, I’m fine.”

He stepped closer, “Is that… blood? Jade… what did you do?” he stared at me in horror.

I guessed what he was thinking, “Don’t worry, I didn’t kill anybody.”

“Well whose blood is that then?” His expression became concerned. “Is it yours?”

I shook my head. “I may have… well… I ate a few deer.”

He seemed to be struggling for words, “you… ate… deer?”

I nodded, “yes, well ate is a relative term, I mean I only drank the blood. I didn’t actually eat the-“

“Ok! I get it, but… why?”

I narrowed my eyes. “I was hungry.” Without any further explanation I pushed past him and went into the house. Within seconds I was locked in my bathroom and I turned on the shower with a sigh of relief.

              Once I was clean and dry my mood had dramatically improved. I felt a lot healthier and I was able to force the hunger to the back of my mind. I realized I had been shamefully neglecting my duties as hostess.

              By the time the others began to wake up I was in the kitchen making pancakes. David wondered in first, followed by Anna and Chris. Julia and Jamie remained in their rooms.

              At the sight of me they stopped and stared. I chose to ignore their shock and greeted them with a slightly forced cheerfulness.

“Good morning!”

              Once they had recovered they returned the greeting and sat around the table in the kitchen. Once I had piled a plate high I placed it in the middle of the table and sat next to David. Anna and Chris sat opposite. Jamie walked in silently and after observing the scene in surprise he came and joined us. I purposefully avoided making eye contact with him as me and Chris sat and watched the others eat.

Anna smiled at me, “wow Jade these are really good!” there was murmurs of agreement from around the table so I grinned.

“That’s good to know.”

She frowned, “are you sure you can’t even try them?” David also paused to watch me curiously. I wrinkled my nose.

“I may as well eat cardboard; it would taste about the same to me and do me as much good.”

“Oh…” we lapsed into silence again. I waited patiently until they had all finished, when I noticed Jamie was about to say something I stood up quickly.

“David! Have you been in my garage yet? I know you have a thing about cars.”

He shook his head, “no.”

“Well then, I’ll take you there now… if you want?”

He got up quickly, “yeah sure, that would be great!”

I caught a glimpse of Jamie scowling as we left the room but I pretended not to see.

David let out a gasp of amazement as I led him into the garage. He seemed to completely forget about my presence as he walked through the room staring at each car in turn. He stopped at my Jaguar; the hood was still propped open where I had been working on the engine previously. I walked up behind him;

“Careful you might get drool on it.”

“I am not-“he stopped when he noticed I was laughing at him. “May I?”

“Of course,”

 He leaned over the engine excitedly, examining it closely.

“You’ve done some modifications?”

“Yes,” I explained some of the things I had changed while he listened and asked the occasional question. “I just need to fix up a couple more things and it’ll be ready to go.”

“Awesome!” he sighed, “I would love to drive a car like this…”

I grinned, “Ok then, let’s go!”

“Wait no I didn’t mean-“

“I know, but it will be fun!” a sudden thought occurred to me, “do you have your license?”

He hesitated, “no… I only started my lessons a little while ago; I haven’t been seventeen that long.” He seemed to think that was a problem, I shrugged;

“Oh well, that’s good enough for me! Come on,”

I led him to another car and ushered him into the driver’s seat, pulling the key from its hook on the wall as I went. He looked nervous,

“I’m not sure I can drive a car this… good.”

“Oh you’ll be fine. Don’t worry about it! We can stay on the estate if you want.”

I gave him a few brief instructions and he started the car, I listened to the engine purr to life.

We returned to the garage after a few circuits of the estate. His confidence had grown as we went and he gradually increased his speed. When we stopped he didn’t move to get out of the car so I paused. The silence stretched between us so I spoke;

“We’ll have to do that again sometime.”

“Yeah we should... um Jade I’ve been planning to ask you… what are you going to do about Jamie?”

I frowned, I had a feeling that was not the question he had been planning to ask me but I chose to respond to it anyway,

“What do you mean? Why should I do anything about him?”  

“Well why is he here? I thought he was supposed to be your enemy! You were holding him hostage… and then suddenly you decide to be BFFs! What the hell is that about?”

I felt irrationally angry but I hid it, “he is here because he has become… someone that I trust, and also because I am not sure that he has anywhere else to go. He has proved his loyalty to me even though it must have cost him a great deal, and for that I am very grateful.”

He must have picked up something in my tone as he proceeded more carefully,

“So… you didn’t just bring him because you think he’s… attractive or anything then?”

I laughed, “You really think I’m that shallow? Of course not!” I scoffed again “that’s ridiculous!”

For some reason he seemed cheered by this fact but I didn’t give him a chance to dwell on it. I climbed out; “come on! Let’s go inside, why don’t we go and find the others.”

              He’s just opened his mouth to say something else but he closed it and followed me in silence back to the main building.