Part 40

It took me a few minutes to locate a shop that looked suitable, and silently I dropped to the ground and went around the back. I was wearing my usual black leather gloves so I didn’t need to worry about fingerprints and I allowed my reflection to fade so that I wouldn’t be caught on any surveillance tapes. With a quick twist of my wrist I broke the lock on the door and slipped inside. The alarm didn’t trigger until I walked out onto the main shop floor but it didn’t concern me; I would be long gone before the police could arrive. Quickly grabbing items in my size I stuffed them into a carrier bag I collected from near the till.

              I hesitated before I left; an image of Jamie’s disproving face appearing in my mind. I sighed before pulling out about £400 in cash and chucking it on the desk. There, he couldn’t say I didn’t pay for my actions.

              Going back out the way I came I was safely perched on a rooftop a few buildings away when a police car swerved around the corner. I watched in amusement for a moment as two officers got out and cautiously moved towards the shop. They would not find any evidence; it would forever remain a mystery to them how someone could get in and out without being caught on a single camera. On the way back I made a wide detour to get some shoes and accessories. The places I hit were all too far apart for them to be able to blame one person which would further throw them off my trail. Each time I left more than enough money to pay for any damage I caused and the items I took.

              Feeling quite pleased with myself I slid the hotel window open and began climbing back in when I froze. Jamie sat on the bed with his arms folded glaring at me angrily. My note lay crumpled at his side. My voice came out sounding guiltier than I intended;

“Oh, you’re awake.” I resumed climbing in through the window and then ended up standing there unsure of what to do. “I just went out to get some… stuff.”

“I see that.”

“Oh,”

“I didn’t know the shops were open at this time of the morning.”

“They’re not,”

“That’s what I thought.”

I sighed and strode past him to dump my stuff on the bed, “relax ok? I even left money!”

“Really?”

“Yes! And it was far more than what the items are worth.”

              He was silent for a while and I could see him relaxing slightly before his anger abruptly flared up again, “Anyway! Could you please explain to me why in the hell you suddenly decided to go shopping in the middle of the night?” normally my temper would have risen to match his, but I could see the worry and relief in his eyes that fuelled his anger. He had been concerned about me.

“It was necessary; I will not be able to get anything tomorrow its Christmas day! I realized that if I am going to be going to the club I need to blend in… and let’s just say that my usual attire will not be suitable. When I packed I just thought we were going to Norfolk.”

“Oh, I’m… sorry I got mad at you, you just… scared me a little when I found that you were gone.” Suddenly his eyes narrowed; “What exactly did you mean when you said that you are going to the club?”

“What I said, I am going alone.”

“No way! You can’t-“

“I can and I will, do not try to tell me that it is dangerous; it will be far worse if you came. I will be amongst my own kind, you will not be.”