Part 26

I spent the next few hours in the main sitting room. When David and I got back, Julia had just challenged Chris to some electronic racing game. We all ended up gathered around the TV to watch. At first I wasn't particularly enthusiastic, but once I got into it I ended up shouting encouragement and playful insults along with the others. Chris thoughtfully brought a bowl filled with crisps in for the humans.

              Jamie was the only one who remained quiet and reserved as he sat alone in the corner. I often felt his calculating eyes on me but I avoided meeting them.

              Once Julia had beat Chris she challenged David who also lost, followed by Anna and me. From there it carried on until eventually, after a bit of practice I finally managed to cross the finish line before her. I shouted triumphantly and high fived Anna who happened to be sitting near me. When she winched and held her arm I reminded myself to be careful, for a second there I almost forgot that they were only human. I profusely apologized.

              Julia cursed loudly and stamped her foot, sending vibrations through the floor. I narrowed my eyes at her in mock anger,

"Careful!"

She stuck her tongue out at me playfully and I knew I was forgiven for snapping at her before. She grinned evilly;

"I demand a rematch!" 

I sighed, "Fine then." I held my hand out for Chris to throw the controller back to me.

              Eventually I had to go to the kitchen. I needed to get a glass of blood for myself and then I could take some food in for the others. I had just put a glass on the counter when I heard the door open and close behind me. I straightened up to see Jamie standing there with his arms folded. I carefully adopted a blank expression. He looked angry. I remained silent so that he was forced to speak;

"You've been avoiding me."

"Yes." I admitted.

He frowned, "why?"

I wasn't sure how truthful to be. When he started to look impatient I answered; "it's for your own good... along with everyone else's."

Confusion clouded his features, "I don't understand."

I sighed, "ever since the... incident at the warehouse my control had not been as... rigid as normal. You witnessed it yourself, the immediate affect that your blood had on me. I was completely intoxicated." His brows drew together, but I continued; "every time I am near you it's difficult to stop myself from... well you know. I won't let that happen again, I won't risk hurting anyone else. I'm a monster, an animal. You shouldn't be around me."

              I looked away afraid to meet his eyes, embarrassed at my outburst.  I couldn't believe I had just cast all of my feelings into the open like that; I felt vulnerable. He stepped closer carefully.

"Jade... I don't think that you are a monster." When I looked at him doubtfully he continued; "ok, well I admit when I first met you I thought you were. But I didn't know you then!"

"You don't know me that well now."

"I know you well enough. Think! Purely by the fact that you care enough to worry whether or not you will hurt people shows that you are clearly not a monster. Nothing that evil would show that much consideration towards her friends!" 

I looked away again, "even if what you say is true," my tone made it clear that I doubted his words, "it is still too dangerous for you to be around me."

"Don't I get a say in this?"

My voice was stubborn; "No."

"What if I want to be around you?"

I was shocked into meeting his eyes, "you- you shouldn't."

"But I do."

"You should hate me. It's my fault that Sam is dead."

He sighed sadly, "Sam is... dead purely because of his own stubbornness. He wouldn't see what was right in front of him, I'm just glad that I did. I only wish that he could have trusted me. Although... I guess I'm not surprised. He always stuck to his rules – no exceptions, not even me."

               I didn't know quite how to respond, but I yearned to comfort him so I carefully laid a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry for, you did the best you could with a terrible situation."

I smiled gratefully, "thanks." 

All at once he seemed to be very close to me, our bodies were almost touching as I looked up into his eyes. They filled with a sudden resolution, and I knew what he was about to do. As he stepped forward his lips met mine, "you're welcome." He muttered softly. 

For and instant I was frozen with shock before I responded all at once. I had to remind myself to be careful as my arms went around him, one hand burying in his surprisingly soft hair. He kissed me back passionately, and I was unable to resist groaning quietly as I inhaled his enticing scent.  

              Suddenly the door flew open and David froze midstride. His mouth open in surprise, his eyes wide with shock and betrayal. In his hand was the empty crisp bowl.

"Jade?"

              I jumped away from Jamie almost guiltily, without another word he spun and ran from the room his face beginning to turn beetroot red. He ignored me as I called after him.

sorry this is really short but it just seemed like the appropriate place to stop! :) please let me know what you think! I would love to get some more feedback for this story :D and thank you for reading! I'll try to upload asap! XD xxx