part 7

It was cloudy again in the morning; the occasional drop of rain splattered the windows, creating little paw print shapes. A cold wind was coming from the north, although it wouldn't bother me, my own body temperature was far below the temperature outside, even though I always felt perfectly warm.

            We were already in our seats for registration when Anna came in, rapped in a thick coat, a scarf and gloves, I could see part of a woolly hat that seemed to have been shoved into the top of her bag. I raised my eyebrows and smiled, her voice was defensive.

"My mum is very overprotective, she tends to overreact." 

I nodded, putting a sympathetic expression on my face. "At least you have a mother that cares about you" she looked curious, but didn't comment.

At lunch Anna and Sophie were trying to organize a shopping trip, Sophie was enthusiastic.

"We can get our Christmas shopping done early!" However Will was unimpressed.

"There's plenty of time for that, we don't need to have to think about it yet..." the other guys agreed with him, they didn't seem to be particularly thrilled about the prospect of shopping. Anna wanted to know if I was free on Saturday, I was evasive, saying I wasn't sure what we were doing yet... I might be busy with my mum...

            Life went on in this fashion for the next few weeks, at school I chatted with Anna, David, Sophie and Will, although I never really gave them much information about myself, apart from David, who I was able to talk more freely around. People gradually became used to Chris and Julia, Anna even started to look comfortable with them sitting behind her after a while. We didn't see any sign of the hunters that had troubled Julia.

            On a Thursday in early December, Anna tried the shopping idea again, she was pleading, making her eyes go comically large, sticking her bottom lip out, while Sophie laughed at her "Pleeaase Jade, you cannot miss the late night shopping, it starts this week, the three of us could go together... my mum would let me go if you both went, please" I sighed;  normally I would refuse anyway, but she seemed so sad... I decided to give in this one time; it would get her off my back.

"Ok, when are you free?"

 She looked surprised, and blinked "Umm... tomorrow night?"

 Sophie nodded, "I'm free then."

 I grinned; "Friday it is then, where shall I meet you?"

 She considered "What about by that big clock, you know the stupid new one that they tried to make look all modern?" Sophie nodded again, I knew the place.

"Yes, I could meet you there at around... six?" they both agreed, it would be nice and dark then, at least. 

           The lessons the next day zoomed past, as things always do when you are not particularly looking forward to something, and quarter to six rushed around. I changed into a deep red shirt, and black jeans, covered with my usual long leather coat and boots.

               I know that my dress sense is a terrible cliché, but it was practical, dark colours helped me blend into shadows when I didn't want to be seen, and leather was strong and tough, I needed sturdy clothes, especially when I was climbing up buildings, or fighting someone. But I could also look casual; I was suited to any occasion.

              I ran into town, so it only took me a few minutes to get there, even though I was forced to slow to a more normal speed, when I reached people in the streets. I was early, although I only had to wait a short time before the other two got there; apparently Julia had managed to wriggle out of it.

              Surprisingly I found that I started to enjoy myself as we wandered from shop to shop, laughing at the bright Christmas displays, and trying random clothes on, chatting and joking easily about pointless things. I had a lot of money with me, but I didn't feel the need to buy much, other than a couple of painting supplies, although the others did some Christmas shopping for various family members. After about three hours, Sophie said that she had to go, so we watched her get on a bus before we decided where to go next. Anna looked at me,

"Is there anywhere you need to go?"

"No not really, what about you?"

"Well... I found this shop on the Internet; they sell all old music and stuff... I thought I could go get my mum a Christmas present from there, she always listens to that sort of thing..."

"Sure, lets go, where is it?"

"It's quite out of the way, down one of the back streets somewhere."

"Ok, lets go" We wandered around for a while, it was quite dark now, and there was no longer people in these streets, which looked slightly narrower and older than the previous ones we had visited. 

             I could tell that Anna was nervous, she kept glancing around warily, she was not used to this sort of thing. I however was perfectly at home. I felt like nothing could harm me, I could easily handle any mugger, or other low life, I was not scared of the dark shadows, they were my element, I walked confidently, and we soon located the shop.

             It was small, with many racks crammed into the tight space, and old sixties music blaring from the speakers, I smiled to myself; I had not heard these songs in a while, although I remembered every word. I idly flicked through the titles, while Anna searched for the one she wanted, it didn't take her long, and she paid the smiling woman behind the counter.

            When we left the shop I could still here the music playing, Anna chatted to me happily. When we rounded a corner I froze. She was looking at me, so only stopped a moment after me, wheeling round to see what I was staring at.

             I could see eight silver crossbow arrows, gleaming in the moonlight. All were pointing straight at me. I cursed myself for being so careless. How could I have not heard them? Anna made a startled squeee sound and jumped back almost colliding with me. That would be the only reason why they hadn't already shot me; She was obstructing their aim; they were afraid to hit her.