Chapter 20

Mihrimah slowly walked out of her tent, cradling Orhan in her arms, feeling his tiny body warm against hers. As she was the one taking care of him from now on, with the help of her aunt Ayşe, she wanted to create a moment of peace for the infant.

They reached the small gazebo near the Bey's tent, and sat on the cushions, smiling at his curious gaze as he looked up at her. ''Look at you, Orhan'm'' she cooed softly, as her heart melted at his wide-eyed wonder. ''Such a brave boy.''

Orhan gurgled in response, while his tiny hands reaching out to grasp at the air. Mihrimah chuckled and gently took his hands, wiggling her fingers to draw out more happy sounds from him.

While she played with him. Mihrimah felt a warmth spread through her and a deep sense of connection to this innocent life, she was now responsible for. It was a responsibility she embraced wholeheartedly, knowing that Malhun had entrusted her with her most precious treasure.

As the hours passed, Mihrimah brought out a small, handmade toy – a carved, wooden horse. Orhan's eyes lit up at the sight, and he reached out eagerly. Mihrimah placed the toy in his hands, guiding him as he explored it with his tiny fingers.

''Do you like it, Orhan?'' she asked, smiling as he babbled in response. ''Your mother will be so proud of you, when she sees how brave you are.''

As the day went on, she thought of Malhun, and the pain she must be feeling from being separated from her son. It was a pain Mihrimah only could imagine, but she felt it deeply, too. She vowed to protect Orhan with everything she had, to keep him safe until he could be reunited with his mother.

While Orhan played with the toy, Mihrimah felt someone looking at her. When she turned to the source, she saw Alemshah looking at her and Orhan with a smile. She only nodded in greeting and turned her attention to Orhan again.

''Mihrimah.'' he approached and greeted. ''It is nice to see you taking care and playing with Orhan.''

Mihrimah forced a smile, masking the anger that simmered beneath the surface. ''Yes, he's finally at peace'' she replied. ''He needs someone he knows and some comfort.''

Alemshah's eyes softened slightly as he looked at Orhan, and Mihrimah was too angry to even see that it was genuine.. She remained vigilant, her body tensed as she waited to see what he would do next.

''He is fortunate to have someone like you to care for him.'' Alemshah said, his tone almost contemplative. ''A mother's touch can work wonders.'''

''I'm not his real mother. He needs his real mother.''

Meanwhile, the exiled hatuns walked through the woods, but then were ambushed by Julia and byzantine soldiers.

Fortunately Boran joined forces with Konur, and the two helped against the ambush while disguised and hit soldiers with bow and arrow.

But unfortunately, Selcan Hatun was gravely injured during the ambush, but hardly survived nonetheless.

In the Kayi tribe, Gunduz Bey had called other Beys for a meeting, Mihrimah didn't attend. She listened carefully while standing behind the curtains in one of the rooms of the tent.

She also had to speak with Konur and so he could let her in on what had been going on since Harmankaya. They never had the chance to speak, as either other things should be taken care of or Alemshah was around or Celali and Ferman.