Chapter 18 - Let's Play Ball!

The family was in the living room dressed to go play baseball. 

"Bella shouldn't come Edward." Christina tells him.

"She's coming." Edward responds.

"The nomads are still around. It wouldn't be safe." Christina tries again.

"Alice said they were leaving,"

"Well what if they hear us playing and come check it out?"

"Alice saw them leaving." He repeats

"So what? They can't change their minds and come back?" Christina asked rhetorically. "Why don't you wait until the next time we play? That way the nomads will definitely be gone."

"They are gone! Alice said so." He yelled at her, frustrated. Jasper growled at him in warning.

"Yes, Alice saw them leaving. That is their current choice. They aren't that far. We are playing baseball. It will be loud. They're vampires. They will know the difference between us hitting the ball and thunder. What if they hear us? They could change their minds. They could come back to see us playing. It isn't smart to bring a human girl that has blood that smells like hers to a baseball game when nomads aren't far away." Christina tries to convince him.

He ignores her. "She's coming. That's final."

Rosalie and Christina both roll their eyes. "Fine." Christina says, "But when something happens I get to say I told you so." Christina crosses her arms.

Edward leaves to get Bella.

"I agree with Chrissy. It's a bad idea." Rosalie said.

"Edward wants her to come so she can get to know us better." Carlisle says. "Come on. Let's go to the field and set up." 

They all start to walk out and Christina shakes her head at Carlisle. 

Jasper puts his hand on the small of her back, "Seriously, when did Edward become the coven leader?" she asks him

He chuckles, "Come on darlin'. You tried. Let's just go have fun." He says. She smiles at him and nods and they go to the field. 

Bella and Edward arrive and the game starts

Bella and Edward arrive and the game starts. Alice, Edward, Emmett, and Clayton take the field. Carlisle, Rosalie, Jasper, and Christina bat first. Esme is the catcher. 

Esme has Bella be the umpire. 

Rosalie bats first. She runs the bases and slides into home. Esme tags her and they look to Bella, who calls her out. 

Rosalie stands next to Christina.  You're right. She shouldn't be here.  Rosalie mind-links her

Yup. It's all  going to blow up in Edward's face. When it does, I am going to rub it in his face that I was right and he should have listened to me.

Rosalie smiles and chuckles at that.

Carlisle is up to bat. Edward and Emmett collide going after the ball and Carlisle is safe. 

Christina is next. Alice pitches her the ball and she hits it in a line drive between Emmett and Edward. She gets to 2nd base.

Jasper is up to bat and he does a trick with the bat. He notices his mate checking him out while he is doing the trick and smirks,  Like what you see?  He mind-links her, sounding smug.

Absolutely.  She replies instantly and smiles at him.

Alice pitches the ball and he hits it. Emmett climbs up the tree and catches the ball. He throws it as Christina gets to home. She slides and is safe before Esme is able to catch the ball.

Before Rose hits again, Christina feels danger coming. She gasps and looks at Edward. "Edward take Bella home." She says quickly

"What?"

"Take her home, now! Before it's too late!" 

Edward rolls his eyes. "We're fine. They're gone and you're freaking out for no reason. It's just your paranoia getting the best of you."

"When have I ever been paranoid? I'm serious, they're coming and you need to get her out of here."

Edward rolled his eyes. "They left. Let's keep playing."

"Fine but her death will be on you." Christina said crossing her arms and standing by Carlisle.

Alice pitched the ball to Rosalie and she hit it. Alice froze seeing a vision. "Wait!" She called. Everyone rushed to home plate. "They are coming. Christi was right." Jasper wrapped his arms around Christina, who looked at Edward smug.

"Let's go." Edward said to Bella.

"It's too late." Carlisle told them.

"Told you so." Christina smugly says to Edward, with a smirk.

"How did you know?" Jasper asks Christina.

"I felt danger coming." Christina said with a shrug before adding in their mind-link.  It's the other gift I copied.

Jasper nods and the Cullen's and Bella turned to the tree line to see three vampires appear. Laurent, James, and Victoria. Jasper stepped slightly in front of Christina to protect her. He knows she can fight vampires, hell he is the one who taught her, but he still would rather her not fight. He wants her safe.

Edward and Bella started to leave as the three vampires start to join the game. A wind suddenly blows and James smells Bella.  "You brought a snack." He says with a smile.

The Cullen family surrounded him and growled at James. The three leave and Edward quickly leaves with Bella. 

"Well its a hunt now. James is the tracker I copied earlier. He got her scent and now he won't stop until he drains her." Christina said. 

"We'll deal with it. Let's get home." Carlisle said and the family ran home.

" Carlisle said and the family ran home