History Lessons

"So tell me some things about Jess and Avril," Valkyrie said as her and Saracen chatted on her bed. Saracen sighed and put an arm around her shoulder. Valkyrie stiffened, unsure what to make of it when he pulled her close.
"There's not a lot to tell," he said. "Only that Skulduggery was getting messed up by one of Mevolent's soldiers and Avril just turned up out of nowhere. After she helped him, they were inseparable. She was his trust little sidekick, his living shadow. They did everything together, though Skulduggery was reluctant to get too closely involved with Avril because of his wife. They fought side by side in the war, and that's when Skulduggery left to confront Serpine, and Avril was heartbroken. She left and we never saw her again until now."
Valkyrie frowned.
"Surely you would've known that she was coming? You know things right?"
"Yes I do. And yes I did know that she was coming. And I also know that she has changed. She isn't the same girl that left us 400 years ago. She has anger in her. Hatred and jealously. Avril Saffron is not to be trusted under any circumstances."
"Are you going to tell Skulduggery that?"
"I'll let him work it out on his own. He is a detective after all."
"What about the other girl? Jessica Carrow?"
"Jess was Skulduggery's second partner that he took when he first started working as a detective. He found Jess on one of his cases. It was a murder mystery that scenario. Jess's mother was murdered in front of her eyes by her own father, and when her father was taken into custody and imprisoned, Jess tagged along with Skulduggery and the two just clicked."
"What's Jess like?"
"Kind, gentle, funny, bright, all things you'd want in a friend. She's a bone breaker."
"What's a bone breaker?"
"She can shatter people's bones with the lightest of touches. The results can be fatal, but her power will only work if she makes contact with her fingertips, and it is ineffective over long distances."
"Sounds scary."
"It is. There's really no need for her to carry any weapons unless she's fighting a long distance battle. Otherwise she's fine with breaking bones."
"What happened?"
"Jessica Carrow was scared away when she realised what had happened to Skulduggery's wife and child, and just how much anger and hatred he had in him, that she fled. She didn't want to risk being caught in the middle of one of his rampages."
"Then why did she come back?"
"She knew that he had learned how to control that anger, and she tracked down Avril."
"But why would they want to come back to him after so long? They can't expect everything just to go back to the way it was before."
"No they can't. And it's not going to. From what I've seen, you Valkyrie are the most beloved partner that he had ever had. He loves you Valkyrie."
"No he doesn't," she said, pulling away. Saracen let his arm drop to his side.
"Remember how I know things? Well I know that what I said is true. Skulduggery loves you Valkyrie. He loves you more than his original wife actually."
At that statement, Valkyrie's head snapped up towards Saracen, her brown eyes full of hope and wonder.
"Really?" She asked, disbelief evident in her voice.
"Really."
"Wow."
"Stay away from Avril got it? Don't trust that girl. Looks are deceptive."
"What about Jess?"
"Jessica Carrow is a kind and gentle soul. Apart from being a bone breaker, she wouldn't hurt a fly. She cares about people's feelings too much."
Valkyrie nodded in understanding.
"Okay. Thanks Saracen. I really appreciate it. Now how do we get rid of Avril? Jess can stay, but I want Avril Saffron gone."
Saracen grinned, and Valkyrie's heart went wild in her chest.
"We will plot my dear Valkyrie. But there is something that I think you need to know before we start."
"And what is that?"
"Avril Saffron is a hitwoman."