The Talk

Valkyrie watched as Tanith drove away with Avril Saffron hanging on behind. She huffed, and when she could no longer see the motorbike or hear the engine, she crept out from behind her hiding place, and ran to the door, knocking loudly. She shuffled uncomfortably as the door was opened by Jess. The brown haired girl was looking annoyed at having to answer the door twice in a row, but her expression lifted when she saw that it was Valkyrie.
"Valkyrie, hi."
"Hi Jess, can I come in?"
Jess moved out of the way and held the door open for Valkyrie as she walked in, looking around. She heard the door click shut behind her and turned to face Jess once more.
"You know Tanith was here just a few minutes ago," Jess said.
"Really? Oh, I just missed her then. I actually came to talk to Skulduggery. Do you know where he is?"
Jess nodded. "In the kitchen."
"Thanks," Valkyrie said, and walked into the kitchen to find Skulduggery leaning against the bench, in skeleton form. Oh thank god, she thought. It was always weird seeing him with flesh. He tilted his head when she came in, and Valkyrie stood awkwardly in the middle of the room, not knowing what to do.
"Um..." She started.
"You came here to apologise?" He asked.
"No, I didn't. I came here to talk to you about Avril."
"What about Avril? And where is she anyway?"
"She's with Tanith."
"What is she doing with Tanith?"
"None of your business."
Skulduggery tilted his head curiously.
"I came here to tell you that Avril has been trying to get rid of me."
"Valkyrie that's ridiculous, why would Avril want to get rid of you for?"
"If I'm out of the way then she can become your partner again."
"Nonsense Valkyrie. Avril wouldn't do a thing like that."
"Are you even listening to me?! She wrote messages in red writing on Tanith's mirror, and she put hair remover in the shampoo that I was about to use! She's out to get me!"
"Why do you think it's Avril?"
"There's no one else it could be."
Skulduggery paused for a moment. "How could it have been Avril if she's with me all the time?"
"Maybe she sneaks out when you're not looking."
"Valkyrie I don't like what you're implying here."
"What do you mean you don't like what I'm implying? Skulduggery, you're my partner! You're my best friend! You promised that Avril wouldn't come between us! You've broken your promise!"
Valkyrie was crying now. She could feel it. The tears were welling up.

How could he have done this to her? After all they'd been through together he was just going to dump her for his old partner?
"Fine! Don't listen to me!" She screamed, running from the kitchen, and straight into Jess. The brown haired girl's eyes widened when she saw the tears streaming down Valkyrie's face.
"Valkyrie?"
"I don't wanna talk about it!" She yelled, trying to run around Jess but the bone breaker caught her, and led her to the couch. Valkyrie plopped down and started sobbing into her hands.
"What happened? What did he say to you?"
Valkyrie stopped crying and wiped her eyes, looking up at Jess who sat down beside her.
"He doesn't believe me," she said. "He won't listen to me when I say that Avril is trying to get rid of me."
Jessica's eyes widened in disbelief.
"Avril is trying to get rid of you?" She asked. Valkyrie nodded.
"She wrote a threatening message on the mirror, and she put hair remover in the shampoo. She's out to get me and he won't believe me!"
Jess rubbed circles into Valkyrie's back as the girl sobbed into her palms again.
"I'm sorry Valkyrie. I don't know how to help you or what to do. I'm not real good at these things."
Valkyrie looked up, and despite herself, managed to smile a little. "It's okay Jess." She said, and Jess smiled.

Valkyrie got up off the couch and Jessica stood up too.
"I'd better go," Valkyrie said and Jess nodded.
"I hope Avril doesn't try anything else. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on her."
"Thanks Jess, you're a good friend."
"I try."
Valkyrie smiled as she walked out the front door, and let it swing shut behind her.