Chapter 68

HIS heart dropped as soon as the curtains parted in the middle and saw the love of his life. Carter's heart beat so fast that it feels like it will explode anytime. She carefully climbed down the stairs. Her face glows as the sun kissed her skin. Lei's beauty shines like her dress. Napakaganda nito. From where she stands, their eyes met and gave him the most beautiful smile she ever wore.

As she started to walk down the aisle, Carter just see his future walking towards him. His greatest love. The mother of his child. As she slowly walks towards him, he falls in love with her over again. Hanggang sa namalayan na lang niya na tuluyan na itong nakalapit. Hindi magawang alisin ni Carter ang tingin kay Lei. It took him few seconds more to finally blink his eyes and move.

Ngumiti siya dito at nilahad ang kamay. Nang ipatong nito ang kamay ay agad niyang hinawakan ito ng mahigpit at nilagay sa kanyang braso.

"You look very beautiful today, baby," puri niya.

"Thank you," nakangiting sagot nito.

Habang palapit sa harap kung saan naghihintay ang Mayor ng Bayan na magkakasal sa kanila. Bahagya niyang nilapit ang mukha dito.

"This is it, baby. You have few more seconds to change your mind," pabiro niyang bulong dito.

Marahan itong natawa saka siya siniko.

"Para naman hahayaan mo akong tumakbo," sagot nito.

"Yeah, you're right. Kaya mahigpit ang hawak ko sa'yo, para kapag nagtangka ka, hindi ka makakalayo."

They both laughed quietly and finally faced the wedding officiant.

"BABY, my beautiful Soleil. I will never forget the day I saw you. When I looked at you, I knew you were the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Baby, thank you for coming into my life, at the time I didn't know where life would take me. Thank you for accepting me and my past without a thin line of judgment. Instead, you believed in me and loved me. Your existence in my life gives me the hope that the world still has great things to offer. And I was right, you became my world and the greatest thing this life has offered me. Before your Mom died, I promised her that I would take care of you. And I'm here now, in front of you and the people who witness this special day, with God and law as our witness. I promise to love you and only you. Through thick and thin, for richer and poorer, in sickness and health, until eternity."

"James, my love. Who would've thought that giving my name to you that night would lead us to this moment? Being with you here feels so surreal. It was so unbelievable that I thought everything was just a dream. Thank you for loving an ordinary girl like me. You proved to me that I'm worth waiting and pursuing."

Lei paused for a while as emotion overtook her. Her voice cracked as tears fell from her eyes.

"... baby, I have nothing to offer you but my sincere love. I don't have the riches to give you the world. But I promise I will stay beside you, believe in you, and trust you even if no one else will. I love you so much, my love. Thank you for always saving me. I and our child were so blessed to have such a sweet and caring daddy like you. No matter what the future holds I promise to be with you in good times and bad. I love you so much, James. And with the Lord, as our witness. I promise to love you and only you. For richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health, through thick and thin, until eternity."

"By the power vested upon me, in the presence of God and the witness of your family and friends, it is my great privilege to pronounce you husband and wife. Carter, you may now kiss your bride."

Carter and Lei faced each other. Inangat nito ang belo na tumatabing sa kanyang mukha. They looked at each other with so much happiness on their faces. Kinulong nito sa mga palad ang kanyang mukha saka huminga ng malalim.