Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Chase

            We pulled to a stop in front of a car wreck. The ambulance and cop cars were blaring loudly as they tried to clear the scene. I was about to make a snide comment when a familiar scent washed in the open car window. My father was speaking to one of the officers, trying to figure out what had happened. I swung open my door with a loud snarl and rushed towards the scene pushing humans out of my way as I went. There was a black SUV on fire and a small figure was being carried away on a gurney. I rushed towards them.

            “Sir, you can’t be over here,” the EMT said.

            “Nicole,” I breathed, I didn’t want to touch her. Her skin was burned and blistered. She was red. I sucked in a hard breath and fought tears.

            “Sir,” the EMT snapped.

            Someone grabbed my arm, making me snarl.

            “Chase!” my father barked, making me waver from his Alpha strength. “Back up what the hell has come—“

            “I promised her she’d be okay!” I yelled back at him. “Now look! She’s burned and hurt!”

            My eyes flashed to another figure being examined at the ambulance. “Liam,” I breathed. His eyes met mine and for a second fear flashed before he smirked. I snarled and launched to him. The police officers held me back. “You sorry son of a bitch! She’s hurt! She’s hurt and you only come out with a few scratches! I am going to—“

            “CHASE!” my father boomed, making my head dip and my fights stop. Jonathan and Mack were now out of the car and ready to hold me back. “I apologize, to you all. This girl you called ‘Jane Doe’ is his fiancée Nicole. That man over there took her from their wedding and has been keeping her for this week. We’ve been searching high and low. Now we find her here, burned and beaten. You cannot blame Chase for acting this way.”

            “I understand that he is upset but we need to get this girl—Nicole—to the hospital. If we do not there is a chance that she will die,” the EMT spoke up after a moment of silence.

            I stepped back and walked to Nicole’s side. I soothed her singed hair back and nodded once. “Take her. But I’m riding with her.”

            “I’m sorry. You are not family yet. I can’t allow that,” the man replied, his eyes slightly down.

            “He’s fine with that,” my father nodded. I glared at him angrily. “You want to kill him don’t you?” he whispered, so low that the humans wouldn’t hear.

            I nodded once and stepped back. “We will follow you.”

            The EMT nodded and proceeded in rolling Nicole away. Jonathan and Mack took a hold of Liam as he tried to run to the woods. The police gave him a glance before listening to my father and driving off after the ambulance. I walked to Liam and punched him across his face.     

            “Not only did you take her from me but you almost got her killed,” I growled.

            Liam smirked. “Her skin was so soft before. She was so tasty. Was it raspberry? Yes, that is what she tasted like. She was, however, a bit shy. Pushing me away when I was trying to give her the best pleasure on Earth…I got close though.”