Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Chase

            The ice cooled me down fast. I kept trying to tap into Nicole’s thoughts but she was blocking me out. I didn’t understand why. I couldn’t tell if she was asleep or not. I tried to listen for her but I couldn’t pinpoint her. There was too much going on in the house.

            I stepped out of the tub and dried off, throwing on my boxers and basketball shorts. I ignored the heat pulsing through my body painfully and kept going I started in our room, she wasn’t there. Her scent was faded—she hadn’t been there since I had left. I followed her scent down the hall and finally found myself at the library doors. She’d come to the library? I opened the doors and immediately saw her. She was at the table in the middle of the room. Her head was lying on a giant open book. I smiled softly and walked to her. I pulled the chair out a bit and lifted her up, being careful not to hit her legs on the table as I did so. She stirred in my arms and curled into my chest. I felt more pain shoot through me; I ignored it. I walked her to one of the other rooms. One next to ours with the softer mattress. I laid her down and tucked her under the covers before exiting the room quietly.

            “Is Nicole sleeping in there?” my mother asked as soon as I shut the door.

            “You scared me, Ma,” I said. She gave me a pointed look. “I put her in there. It’s better for her. I don’t want her to have to sleep in there with me. I’m still burning up.”

            My mom patted my shoulder. “Go on to bed. I’ll bring you something to eat in a little while. If you need anything let me know. Lisa will be up soon with some more ice. Did the bath help?”

            I nodded. “Definitely.”

            “Good.” Mom walked away after that. “Get some rest!” she commanded before she turned the corner. I put a hand to my head as the burning increased. I walked to my room and collapsed on my bed.

            “I’m assuming this means you feel like shit?” Mack was here?

            “What are you doing in here, Mack?” I asked, turning onto my back.

            “I came to check on you,” he shrugged. “How’s Nicole doing?”

            “She’s alright, I think. She’s sleeping next door now.”

            “Lisa is insane with worry for the both of you. I keep trying to assure her that everything will be okay…then again I’m not totally sure about that myself. I mean—“

            “Mack, we’re going to be fine. I’m already starting to feel better. I’m able to actually function right now, which is proof.”

            He shrugged. “Alright. I’ll leave you to sleep for a bit. Lisa will be up here soon with more ice.”

            “I’ll make sure she knows not to worry so much,” I assured him.

            “Thanks,” was his departing word.

*

            Lisa was in the room two hours later. She was struggling to keep the large bucket of ice from hitting the ground. “I’ve brought—ugh—ice—sorry, it’s really—heavy.” I got up and lifted it from her hand setting it on the ground beside my bed. “No! You weren’t supposed to get up. I had it!”

            “You need to work on gaining some muscle, Lisa,” I laughed. “You’ve got no upper body strength.”

            “Shut up! Lay back down too!” she commanded, her eyebrows pushing together, creating a little crease in between them. I did as she said and that crease disappeared. “How are you?”

            “I’m still burning up.” She touched my arm and pulled her hand away almost immediately. “But other than that I’m alright.”

“I checked on Nicole for you. She’s still asleep.” Lisa began gnawing on her inner cheek.

“Thanks, Lisa. She needs to sleep. She’s been pretty stressed out recently.”

Lisa nodded. “She has. So have you. This entire thing has been hell for all of us…I can’t imagine how bad it must be for the two of you.”

I nodded. My mind raced as I recalled the many things that we’d been through. It was all so much to go through for two teenagers. For two werewolves it was even extremely hard. I could only hope that things would get better. That all of this would be worth it.

I pictured what the future might hold. Nicole in a beautiful white dress. Nicole with her hand on her round belly—a belly that contained my pup. Nicole smiling up at me as she held our baby, rocking it to sleep. All of these things in my future would make this all worth it. Absolutely.

Lisa picked up an ice cube and placed it on my forehead. I felt instant cooling. She allowed my hand to replace hers. Water droplets rolled down my forehead, wetting my hair. “Thank you, Lisa.”

She patted my hand before making her way to the door. “Feel better, Chase.”

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE READ THIS AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hi guys! I know I kinda suck. I'm sorry this isn't longer but writing as Chase is increasingly hard. So this is really a filler. Things will be rolling more next chapter. I'm thinking there are only a couple chapters left in this story. After I finish I will be going back through and editing the book fully. I'm excited to do that. Right now on Word the entire book is 225 pages. (Part I & Part II) In the document I decided to combine the two into one big book. After I edit it I will look into publishing it, which would be awesome and I would love your support in that. 

Thank you guys for reading. It really means a lot to me. 

If you have any banners or trailers or anything that you'd like me to put in the side bar >>> send them to me. 

Thanks!

Jazminemh