Chapter 12

Sorry for the delay. I've been working a bit on Taken...so...yeah. Anyway, here it is.

05-23-12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 12

Nicole

            I raked a hand through my hair and sighed loudly as I gathered a few of my things to take to the other room. I felt slightly bad over doing this to him but I knew I needed space from Chase. If I didn’t get at least a little alone time I was going to go crazy and probably blow up on him. I grabbed a pen and a piece of paper from his desk and wrote a few sentences for him, setting the note gently on his bed. Hopefully he wouldn’t ask too many questions when I saw him again.

            I made my way to the empty room and dumped my stuff on the bed before walking to Hannah’s room. I knocked loudly on the door.

            “For God’s sake, can’t people just leave us alone?!” I heard Derek snap.

            Hannah opened the door a moment later, her eyes rolling. “Hey, Nicole, what can I do for you?” Her hair was slightly ruffled and her dress was wrinkled, making what they’d just been in the process of no mystery.

            I bit my lip a moment before answering. “Hi Derek,” I called, gaining a grunted hello from him, before turning back to Hannah. “I just wanted to know if you could let me know when dinner is ready. I really don’t want to come out of the room until then. I will be three down, the empty room closest from here.”

            Hannah nodded. “Of course I can. Do you want me to just bring you some when it’s ready?”

            “That would be great,” I nodded, my head bobbing vigorously.

            “Okay then, I’ll…see you later I guess.” This is when the conversation began to get awkward.

            I nodded. “Okay, bye.” I turned swiftly on my heel and made my way to the room. When I was in the room I sat back on the bed, opened the book I’d found, and began reading silently.

            A few hours later there was a loud knock against my door, causing me to stand up and head to it. Hannah was standing there; a tray in her hands. I smiled and took it from her easily. “Thank you, Hannah,” I smiled.

            “You’re welcome. I was actually really happy when Chase found out. All day—well for while I’ve seen him—he’s been walking around like a lost love-sick puppy. It’s really rather depressing. He doesn’t have a clue what to do.”

            “Didn’t he do stuff to keep himself occupied before he met me?” I asked going to set the tray on the desk.

            “Sure he did. But now it’s different because he’s been attached to your side for so long that he just doesn’t know what to do. Jonathan, Mack, and Gabe were going to go out for a run and invited him, but no, Chase is too busy waiting on you.”

            I shrugged. “Why can’t he? I don’t get it. Jonathan and Mack found their mates…how come they can go but he can’t?

            Hannah shrugged. “I was thinking he’s acting this way because he’s the future alpha. He’s got to be alert and tough. I guess that also means he has to be around his mate so they don’t get hurt.”