Chapter 4

I reeeeaaaallllyyyy hope you don't hate me after this chapter. 'Kay well ENJOY!

--------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4

Nicole

            I could feel only heat and pain. I could see only black or red. I could hear nothing but silence. I could smell my own burnt flesh. I couldn’t move…I felt like I was tied down, and gravity was pulling me harder than usual. It felt like there was two hundred pounds on my chest, making it hard to breath. I tried to open my eyes but it wasn’t working.

            “Nicole, Luna, Love, I need you to open your eyes. Wake up. I miss your beautiful eyes. I miss you. Please,” I heard, ringing throughout my head. Whose voice is this? I searched my memories but couldn’t put the voice to the head. It hurt my brain just trying. I felt as though I had to comply to their wishes though. My eyelids fluttered. And a bright light blinded me, making me gasp.

            “Nicole,” the voice breathed, although this time it wasn’t in my head.

            Finally my eyes focused and I could see the face. I tried to figure out his name but I couldn’t remember. His eyes were a bright and beautiful blue; his hair was dark and looked like he had run his hands through it. I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to figure out who this is. 

            Eventually his face turned confused as mine probably looked. I’d had enough of this terrible silence. “Who are you?” I asked, my throat burning with each word and my voice low and hoarse.

            His eyes turned sad. “You don’t remember me?” he asked.

            I shook my head. He put his head down against my hand. “How can she not remember me?” he asked.

            I felt a hand sooth my hair. “The doctor said she could have amnesia,” the person said. I looked over and saw Natalie looking at the guy, with Lisa beside her.

            “Natalie,” I smiled, making the guy straighten and walk to the wall punching it.

            “Chase, calm down,” Lisa snapped. “It’s not her fault.”

            The guy, Chase, turned to glower at Lisa. “You think I don’t know that?”

            “Chase, watch yourself,” Natalie said. “Nicole doesn’t need this right now. She’s been in a coma for a month.”

            “A month?” I asked. “What happened to me?”

            “You were in a really bad car accident,” Natalie said. “You got burnt and cut up. We’ve been waiting for you to wake up.”

            “But…why him?” I asked; my voice low.

            At that Chase stormed out of the room, the door slamming behind him. Watching him leave made my heart hurt. I looked up at Natalie, who was watching after Chase. “What was that about?” I asked.

            “You explain it while I go talk to that idiot,” Natalie told Lisa, before storming out after Chase.

            “Do you remember the wolves?” Lisa asked.

            I nodded.

            “Well…um…over a week before your accident you came to school and ran into Chase, Chase Matthews—“

            “Wait! That was Chase Matthews?” I asked.

            Lisa nodded. “Yes, now don’t interrupt. Apparently you are a special kind of werewolf. Your family—our family—had werewolves in it. For some reason those genes skipped down to you, me, and Nat. We’re all cousins…distant cousins. We’re werewolves…and Chase is your mate. Mack is mine, and Chase’s cousin Jonathan is Natalie’s.”

            “What?!” I yelled, earning a sharp pain through my throat. “You’re crazy, Lisa, you’ve gone mad. Where are my parents?”

            “I called your mom but…she said she’s working and couldn’t make it to see you. We’re too far out of town,” Lisa replied, looking down.

            I nodded and bit my lip. “Of course.”

            “I’m sorry, Nicole,” Lisa said patting my hand.

            I looked down at it. It wasn’t red…it had a few cuts but no burns. I examined my chest and my legs. Then I looked at my arms. I had a few okay burns, mostly small, almost healed, cuts in a lot of places. “Why am I not worse?”

            “You’ve been in here for a month. Your werewolf blood—and the blood Chase gave you—has been healing your body excessively,” Lisa said with a soft smile. She reached over to grab a big water bottle with a straw stuck in it and handed it to me. “Drink this.”

            I took the bottle and sucked in the water, allowing the cool liquid to sooth my burning throat. “Thank you,” I said after I drank most of it.

            She smiled and set it back on a rolling side table near my bed. “Do you believe me yet?” she asked.

            I shook my head. “Not a chance.”

            “The doctor said you might have amnesia. It won’t stay though, he said it won’t. I just hope it leaves soon. I think Chase will go mad if it doesn’t,” Lisa said with a small smile.

            “I really want to remember the truth,” I replied.

            “I can understand that,” Lisa nodded. “I’d want to remember every second if I had that hunk as my mate.”

            We laughed until someone growled from the corner. “Lisa, love, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t say those things. Especially not about my cousin,” he said walking over and kissing Lisa’s neck lightly.

            Lisa blushed. “Well sorry, Mack, but it’s true. Chase is fairly hot. But don’t worry, you’re sexier,” she said patting his arm.

            “How are you, Nicole?” Mack asked me.

            “I don’t remember anything,” I shook my head. “I don’t remember anything after…after—“

            “After she went to bed the night before meeting Chase,” Lisa finished.

            “I’m sure your memory will come back soon. You’re a werewolf, we heal fast and have great minds,” Mack assured me.

            I nodded. “Thanks.”

            “Of course,” Mack nodded. Then he looked at Lisa. “So I guess Chase was pretty pissed about her not remembering him…”

            Lisa nodded. “He stormed out and Natalie went to talk some sense into him.”

            Mack flinched. “I’d hate to be him right now.”

            “I agree,” Lisa and I said in unison, making Mack laugh.