Chapter 25

Chase

Her hair fell over her shoulders in loose curls, framing her soft face. The white-laced veil lightened her tremendously as the sun shined over it. My eyes trailed her dress, it hugged her top before flaring at the waist.

I couldn't help but mimic her lips, as they curved into a timid smile. Finally, I looked into her eyes. It was like the world stopped. As cheesy as it is, everything slowed and it was just us. Her eyes told me everything: our story, from start to forever.

I felt my own eyes burn as tears welled. My heart swelled and my face warmed. All I wanted was to have her in my arms.

Why is this aisle so long? I thought to her.

Her lips twitched as she fought a giggle. I'm almost there.

She was, but in this moment it still felt like a mile. I let my eyes roam over her again, and again. The closer she got the happier I was.

Until, finally, she put her hands in mine and the ceremony began.

My father looked between us, a smile—one I'd never seen—lit up his face.

"Family and friends," he said. "We are gathered here today to join Chase Matthews and Nicole Windshaw in life and soul."

I could see Nicole's eyebrows twitch with slight confusion. Werewolf and human friendly weddings require modifications to both ceremonial scripts, I explained.

Her face relaxed in understanding.

"We have been invited here today to share with Chase and Nicole a very important moment in their lives," Father continued. "In the time they have been together, their love and understanding of each other has grown and matured, and now they have decided to live their lives together as partners."

Mates, I corrected to Nicole.

Spouses, she added.

"I ask that now the two of you recite your vows," my father said. "Chase, would you like to begin."

I cleared my throat. "I really didn't expect to cry so much," I admitted. The crowd let out light chuckles. Nicole gave me a prideful grin.

"But you're so perfect. You're so unbelievably perfect. You know, I wrote vows." I slipped the folded up paper from my jacket pocket. "But for some reason they don't feel right. Somehow the words I spent so much time pouring my heart into just don't seem to fit right now. I think that makes sense for us, funnily enough. We'll spend the rest of our lives evolving—in happiness, in maturity, and in our love. It's beautiful. Knowing that I can be with you is the only comfort I'll ever need, because you complete me. You are my heart and you hold the key to my soul. I swear, that I'll be with you through everything. For anything you need, I'm here. I'll always be here. I'm yours, Nicole. I've always been and will forever be, yours."

Nicole wiped at her cheek. "Oh, how do I follow that?" she joked. She took a deep breath before speaking again.

"Before I met you, I'd never been with anyone," she said. "I didn't date. I think it was from fear—or maybe I just knew, somewhere inside, that they wouldn't be you. You've saved me, in more than just the literal way. You make me feel safe and you keep me honest and true to myself. You mean the world to me and I promise that I will always be there for you. I vow to be your love, your wife, your mate forever."

The wolf in me perked up at the very words coming from her lips. I fought the rumble in my chest. My grip on her hands tightened.

"By the power vested in me," my father continued. "I now pronounce you husband and wife."

Finally. I pulled Nicole to my chest and pressed my lips to hers. All the time spent without her somehow seemed worth it, in this moment.