Chapter 9

So sorry for the delay. I was trying to write Taken and make this chapter long. It's 6 pages on MS Word. Anyway here it is....

5-9-13

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 9

Chase

            Watching Nicole walk upstairs, away from me, hurt me. I could feel her pain radiating through the brick wall her brain has recently built up, to keep me out. It’d been almost impossible to hear her thoughts since she woke up…I already couldn’t while she was asleep but…her walking, talking, and just being awake…it’s difficult. She’s been blocking me, and I don’t even think she means to.

            Hannah walked past me, bumping my shoulder hard as she passed. She started running up the stairs after Nicole. I envied her. I should be the one up there comforting Nicole, not Hannah.

            I felt Missy’s slim arm loop through mine. I knew her stick; glossed lips would be stretched into a smile as she looked at me. A wave of nausea washed through my body at the feel of Missy’s skin on mine.

            “Ready to go, babe?” she asked; her voice light.

            I tugged my arm from hers and started towards the door. “Don’t call me babe,” I grumbled.

            “Watch it, Chase,” she snapped angrily. “You don’t want your dad to lose his business, do you?”

            I didn’t answer, instead we walked to her Mercedes and I opened the passenger door for her. She handed me the keys with a cheery smile. I looked up and saw Nicole’s tear-filled eyes looking down at me from my bedroom window. When Missy caught my line of sight she leaned in and kissed me on the lips, hard. She pulled back after a moment or so, smirked at Nicole, and climbed into the car. I looked back up and Nicole now had her head in her hands and was being pulled into a hug by my sister.

            I wiped the gross, slimy lip gloss from my mouth and walked around to get into the driver’s side of the car.

            “We’re going to Calvin’s,” Missy announced, holding her head high.

            “Great,” I said; my tone was lacking the excitement Missy wanted so she put her hand on mine and glared at me.

            “You’d better perk up, and you’d better do it fast or else,” she told me sternly.

            Ten minutes later we were pulling up to Calvin’s, a really nice five star restaurant.  It had pretty much anything you could want to eat, which is one reason it was such a great place.

            I climbed out of her car and went around to retrieve Missy. She smiled at me as she entwined our hands.

            The hostess was a nice blonde woman who smiled brightly at us. She led us to an excluded booth in the corner.

            “I’ll have a sweet tea,” Missy said.

            “Water will be fine with me,” I told the waitress.

            She nodded and hurried off to retrieve our drinks.

            “What are you thinking about getting to eat?” Missy asked, her eyes meeting mine.