The Mission

I sat in the quinjet as Steve looked over a file as we flew to some thing called a Helicarrier. I sat next to Steve not listening to him talking to Agent Phil Coulson. I thought about how I woke up in an lab a few months ago to discover Steven Grant Rogers was alive. Now we were both going on a mission with a group of people. I didn't know these people hardly. I had no idea what to do.
FLASHBACK: Stephanie's p.o.v
Me and Steve were at the local gym in Brooklyn both me and him were punching a bag. I could tell by the way his face was he was thinking about something. I shrugged it off and continued to punch my bag. It didn't move a lot but Steve's did. Next thing I knew it was on the ground, I jumped back staring at the bag that was on the ground with sand coming out of it. "Holy crap" I whispered to myself, I watched as Steve walked over to another bag picked it up and hung it on the hook.
"Trouble sleeping?" I turned to see who said that and saw none other than Nick Fury.
"We slept for 70 years sir I think we've had our fill" Steve said punching the bag.
"Then you two should be out celebrating, seeing the world" Nick said as Steve stopped punching and I walked over to Fury soon joined by Rogers.
"I went under, the world was at war, I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost" said Steve as I unwrapped the cloth around my hands.
"We've made some mistakes along the way. Some very recently" said Nick.
"You here with a mission, sir?" I ask calmly putting the cloth into my bag.
"I am" Nick said as I noticed a file he had with him.
"Trying to get us back in the world?" Steve said unwrapping the last cloth around his hands.
"Trying to save it" Nick said handing the file to Steve and I looked at it while he did.
I recognized the picture instantly.
"HYDRA'S secret weapon" I said staring at the picture of the tesseract.
"Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you. He thought what we think, the tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs" Nick said.
"Who took it from you?" I asked still staring at the file.
" He's called Loki. He's not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know." Nick said as Steve gave him the file back.
"At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me" Steve said getting up.
"Ten bucks says you're wrong. There's a debriefing package waiting for you back at your apartment." Said Nick as Steve walked over picking up a punching bag and threw it over his shoulder. I grabbed my bag and Steve grabbed his.
"Is there anything you can tell us about the Tesseract that we ought to know now?" Nick asked as we began to walk out of the gym.
"You should have left it in the ocean" Steve said as we exited the gym.
END OF FLASHBACK
We arrived at the Helicarrier, we got off and were greeted by a women with short red fiery hair. "Agent Romanoff. Captain Rogers." Agent Coulson introduced Steve to the women.
"Ma'am?" Steve said smiling.
"Hi, who's this young lady?" Agent Romanoff asked.
"This is Stephanie" Steve said.
"Hi" I said awkwardly.
"Hey Coulson they need you on the bridge. Face Trace" Romanoff said to Phil.
"See you there" Phil said leaving me with Steve and Romanoff.
"There was quite the buzz around here, finding you in the ice. I thought Coulson was gonna swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?" Said Romanoff, I giggled at the end.
"Trading cards?" Steve asked with a small chuckle.
"They're vintage, he's very proud." She said.
"Question what else can I call you instead of Agent Romanoff?" I asked nervously.
"Natasha" she said smiling as we walk towards Dr. Bruce Banner.
"Dr. Banner" Steve said shaking his hand, Bruce looked really nervous to be on the Helicarrier, probably because if he gets angry we are all doomed.
"Oh, yeah. Hi. They told me you'd be coming" Bruce said nervously.
"Word is you can find the cube" Steve said.
"Is that the only word on me?" Bruce asked.
"Only word I care about" Steve said.
"Must be strange for you, all of this" Bruce said taking in all the sentiment.
"Well, this is actually kind of familiar" Steve said as we watched people run by.
"So who's this?" Bruce said gesturing towards me.
"I'm Stephanie Barns" I said shaking Bruce's hand.
"Lady and gentleman, you may wanna step inside in a minute. It's gonna get a little hard to breath" Natasha said smiling as the Helicarrier started to shake.
"Is this a submarine?" Steve asked.
"Really? They wanted me in a submerged pressurized metal container" said Bruce as we began to walk to the edge. The large fans mounted on the side began to lift into the air getting ready for flight.
"Oh. No. This is much worse" Bruce says smiling causing me to laugh.