Dancing

The music was soft and sweet here at the Stork Club. I enjoyed the sweet melody as I watched Bucky dance with a beautiful women. She had blonde hair and bright blue eyes that sparkled like the ocean. The music was by Tommy Dorsey. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned to see Bucky's best friend, Steve. He was skinny and only a few inches taller than me.
"Would you care to dance?" Steve asked holding out his hand.
"I'd love too" I said smiling. He was such a nice man. Much older than I am. He's my best friend. He's like a brother. I took his hand and we swayed across the dance floor. He only stepped on my feet two times and would always mumble 'sorry'. I enjoyed dancing with him.
Me and Steve were at his apartment. We'd be moving to Washington DC tomorrow. We had everything packed up. I was going through Steve's old records. Soon I found the record by Tommy Dorsey that we danced to that one night. I ran over to the record player and looked out the window watching Steve put stuff into the moving truck. I put the record on the record player and it started playing. I hummed to the song with a smile. Steve entered the apartment and I took his hands and started dancing with him.
"What are-"
"Shhh" I said dancing.
"You should be sitting down" he said. I have a boot on my foot.
"Nah" I said, "I can walk."
"Steph you almost give me heart attacks when you're standing" he said. I tried to stand multiple times and he flipped out. I had to admit it was pretty funny.
"Steve, I can stand. I'm not useless" I said as he started to get comfortable. He placed a hand gently on my waist.
"Steph I never said you were useless" he said.
"Do we have to leave?" I asked as I stopped dancing and hugged him.
"I know Brooklyn is our home. But we have to move" he said.
"I know" I said disappointed.
"Come on. Put a smile on that face" he said smiling, "I'll meet you down at the car." I walked out of the room and down the apartment steps. I saw a box on the ground and I decided to help.
"Steph! You're not suppose to lift anything heavy" Steve said taking the box from me.
"A box of blankets isn't heavy" I said smiling as I climbed into the passenger side. I stared out the window watching as snow slowly started falling from the cloudy sky. Steve climbed into the car and put a pillow on the dash. I put my foot on the pillow to satisfy him. He's been protective lately. I can't go outside without him beside me. I need help getting food. I'm not old! Well technically I am in my 70s.
Bucky held my hand tightly not wanting me to run. Steve stood beside him. I saw the candy store and bolted towards it. Being a 3 year old these boys should've expected it.
"STEPH!" I heard Steve and Bucky call. I kept running. Steve's mom Sarah was like my second mother. She made really good chocolate chip cookies. I felt someone grab me by the waist and pick me up and set me on their shoulder. I looked down to see Bucky smiling up at me.
"Don't scare me like that again, Stephanie Rose Barns" Bucky said using my full name.
"Sorry" I said giving him my puppy eyes.
"It's alright Steph" he said before putting me back on the ground. Steve caught up and placed a hand gently on my head.
"Don't ever do that again" Steve said picking me up like a baby and kissing my cheek multiple times making me laugh. Steve balanced me on his hip as we entered the candy store.
"Rogers! Barns! Good to see you again" Mr Bowen said smiling at us.
'"Mr Bowen!" I said happily.
"Hi Steph" he said rubbing his thumb on my pale cheek, "sometimes I think Steph is Steve's sister. They look so much alike."
"Well every time I look at her I see my mom" Bucky said smiling, "the only difference is the blonde hair." Mr Bowen handed me a cookie and I gladly thanked him. We left the store and by the time we crossed the street I had cookie on my face.
"Steph I think you got a little something on your face" Bucky said licking his fingers and he went to rub it off. I moved away. I hated when he washed my face like that. Ever since mom and dad left for California, Bucky decided to take me and stay in Brooklyn. So basically he was raising me. With the help of Sarah and Steve.
"Stephanie Rose Barns" he said trying to clean my face again. I shook my head and moved away from him. I buried my head in Steve's shoulder. Steve let out a small chuckle.
"Hey Steph look at me" Steve said as I looked up. Steve quickly took out a cloth and wiped the chocolate off my face.
"You're better with her than I am" Bucky said smiling.
"That's because he knows how to treat a lady" I said smiling at my brother. We arrived back at the apartment and Steve put me down. I ran off to my room which was right next to Bucky's room.

"Happy birthday dear Stephanie! Happy birthday to you!" Bucky and Steve sang. It was my 10th birthday. I blew out the candles with excitement. Steve and Bucky had given me the best life. I could always depend on them. Steve had gotten me a new note book. I loved to write. Bucky had gotten me a necklace with a ruby gem.
"I can't believe it! You're growing up to fast!" Steve said.
"I know. I have no control over my growth. You told me this on my 8th birthday" I said smiling.
"Well your birthdays are always fun" Bucky said cutting a piece of cake.
"That's because I'm fun" I said smiling.
"That's true" Bucky said messing up my blonde hair. I slapped his arm causing Steve to laugh.

"What?!" I asked running into the room where Peggy was crying. The line had went dead. Steve was dead. Peggy pulled me into a hug and squeezed my tightly. I stared at the radio speechless. I clicked the button.
"Steve? Steve? Steve?!" I asked but no answer. I felt hot, salty tears sting my eyes. I sat on the ground with my head in Peggy's lap. She rubbed my head gently. I clicked the button again not trusting my voice at first.
"Steve? If you can still hear me I want you to know that you're like a brother to me. You always will be a brother to me. I'll miss you. I promise I'll make you and Bucky proud. I promise" I said before moving my hand off of the button. I broke down in tears. Peggy wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly. Jack, Dugan, Gabe, Jim, and Jacques came into the room and joined us in the hug. Dugan and Jack had to pull me away from the radio.
"No! What if he's still alive?!" I screamed as Dugan picked me up.
"It's going to be okay Stephanie" Jack said soothingly as I dried my tears. First Bucky, now Steve. Why does this keep happening to me?

I ran down the hallway and shot at the man who I was chasing. I continued after him but multiple agents came my way. They picked me up and shoved me into a small room. They shut the large door and sealed it tightly. Water began to pour into the small room, soon it was up to my chin. I was gasping for air. Soon I was under water. The water began to get colder and soon my vision went back as I fell unconscious.

I woke up as we arrived at the new apartment in Washington DC. Steve gave me the keys and told me the number. I walked into the building and then up the stairs and found the room. I unlocked the door and entered the empty apartment. It was nice and roomy. Maybe I'll enjoy it here.