Chapter 11

(Veronica's POV)

I woke up with the biggest headache. I walked groggily into the bathroom. I noticed Aleena was still asleep. I guess she stayed up really late with her cousins. This was probably one of the only few times I'd woken up before her. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I brushed my hair and walked out to the hallway. The house was silent. I slowly tiptoed down the stairs, carful not to wake anyone up, to get myself a glass of water and maybe some food because I'd skipped dinner last night, which was probably not the best idea.

I walked into the kitchen and drank down gulps of water to quench my thirst. I opened some of the cabinets to see if there was anything to eat. I decided on cereal. I poured my fruit loops and a tiny amount of milk into a bowl, drifting into my own thoughts. I was always comfortable alone, I was good at keeping myself entertained. I would never get bored alone. Sometimes I preferred being alone. But I hated being lonely.

"Morning." I was startled by a voice behind me. It was Samir, Zayn's cousin.

"Good morning." I said to him smiling.

"No one else awake?" He asked.

"No, everyone seems to be fast asleep. Looks like you guys slept really late last night." I said

"Well, yeah that's how it is when we all get together, we barely sleep." He said chuckling.

"It's always like that with siblings and cousins isn't it?" I said.

"Yeah, I guess.."

"Morning guys.." Aleena walked in yawning. "Sleeping at 4AM is a bad idea."

"You look terrible!" Samir exclaimed.

"Shut up." She said.

She took a seat beside me with a bowl of cereal herself.

We ate in silence. I didn't know what to say after last night. Samir went up to his room maybe.

"Slept alright?" Aleena asked breaking the silence.

"Yeah.. Like always." I said.

"How did you not wake up with all the noise I will never know, I bet you could sleep through a freaking volcanic eruption." She joked.

"Looks like you guys had loads of fun, wish I'd have stayed up." I said.

"There's always tonight." She said.

We finished our breakfast and went up to get ready. We were going to go ski later in the afternoon. I'd never gone skiing before so I'd need to learn first.

I was never really much of an athletic person. The only thing I was actually good at was swimming. But I liked trying new things.

_____

I was making my way through the thick snow on the ground towards the car with Zayn.

"Have you ever gone skiing before?" He asked me.

"Nope.. But how hard can it be right?" I said.

"Oh trust, me it's pretty difficult.." He said.

"Really? Doesn't look like it."

I said.

We sat in the car to go to a ski resort, I don't know how six people with all our thick layers of clothing fit into the car. Two of Aleena's other cousins joined us this morning, Nadia and Aamir so that made a total of 11 of us to be split into 2 cars. The surroundings as we drove were beautiful, everything was covered in snow, the lamp posts, the roof tops the tree branches. Some places looked to have had snow that was up to 2 meters deep.