Hiding Behind The Music - Chp 12 [Friends And Lovers]

"You can build a life and have it broken down/You can choose a path and get turned around/You can hate yourself and fall in love again/As for me, I've lost friends, lost lovers/But I've still got my soul" -Madina Lake - Friends And Lovers

Getting out of the shower after Hayden dropped me off I walked out into the white room the TV was on; Kate was home. Walking up the hall I knocked on her door. “Yes?” she called back, I opened the door as she was laying on her bed in a singlet and trackies her own hair wet.

I walked around and jumped on the bed laying down beside her our shoulders bumping and touching, our elbows propped up. “How was your day?” I murmured.

She laughed weakly “Exhausting.” She said answering my thoughts.

I let my cheek lay on the soft bed cover “Mmmm.” I said my eyes closing peacefully, my legs hurting throbbing from all the walking.

“How about yours?” she whispered brushing my wet hair from my eyes.

“Good, I went for a walk on the beach, as you know and that’s where I ran into Hayden. He took me to the zoo.” I said peacefully, happily.

She laughed “Sounds fun.” She whispered.

“Yeah except the reptile area.” I answered truthfully.

“Why’s that?” she asked softly, I explained in a soft murmur, telling her the entire story.

She didn’t speak at first, “What else are you frightened of?” she whispered.

“Mmmm.” I said thoughtfully. “Mainly,” I said talking without thinking in my exhausted drowsy state. “being taken in or letting people in to only be abandoned. Loss I suppose you could say.” I said my eyes still closed. “Sorry.” I whispered cursing at my big mouth that usually was the complete opposite.

“Shhh its okay you’re allowed to be cautious when it comes to letting people in. I don’t expect you to let me in instantly.” She cooed.

I frowned “But I have, almost instantly, which is out of character for me.” I mumbled.

She laughed faintly “Yes, we seemed to have kicked it off instantly, we just…click.” She murmured.

“Mmmm.” Was all I could say in agreement.

“Let’s go call takeaway.” She said sliding off the bed.

I followed.

We collapsed on the lounge, my feet stretched out in her lap. A common position for the both of us. I watched her while she dialed the number. “Any Chinese food suggestions?” she whispered as she waited. I just shrugged.

“Okay, so it will be a half hour wait.” She said sitting the food down. “So school, what talent were you? Sporty chick? Nerd girl? Cheerleader – oh wait you don’t do cheerleading in Australia. Um, arty girl? Popular girl? Or just average girl? You know the stereotypes that keep going.” She said.

“Guess.” I said smiling smugly.

“Well I’d say with arty wise with music and for the rest of it just your average girl.” I nodded in agreement. “Just like I was.” She said smiling back.“So,” she said tapping my feet in a rhythm. “what’s your favorite food?” she asked.

I bit my bottom lip in thought “Ummm.” I said thoughtfully “Can’t say I really care.” I mused “I mean I'm not fussy. I eat anything good.” I admitted.

“That’s gonna be easy for me here cooking.” She smiled.“I'm not someone that eats takeaway all the time.”I shrugged with no concern. “You a strawberry, vanilla or chocolate girl?”