Chapter 2

As Alice pushed Emmett out the door, Edward gave her a sideways glance.

"Do you really think this is wise?" he questioned.

"What do you mean?" Alice challenged. "This is Emmett's true soul mate we're talking about here, Edward."

"Maybe," Edward hesitated. "But what if your vision is wrong?"

"My visions are never wrong," Alice smiled.

***
The light rain suddenly became much harder and more steady. Jackie gathered up her girls and they made a mad dash for the car. It was an old beat up red Chevy pick up truck, but it was faithful, and currently the only vehicle they could afford.

Jackie and the girls got seated in the car. The girls were pretty well soaked and beginning to shiver. Jackie turned the key. Nothing. She tried again. Still nothing.

"That's just great," she mumbled. "Stay here," she said turning to the girls.

She popped the hood before getting out in the pouring down rain. With all her might, she struggled to get the hood open but it wouldn't budge.

From the tree line, Emmett could see Jaqueline struggling to fix the truck. He hoped he had enough control not to tear in to her, but he had to help her and now was the perfect opportunity to meet her.

Quickly he made his way over to her.
"Hey!" He called out to her. She turned. "Hey!" He called again, "do you need some help?"

Jackie's jaw nearly dropped as the rather large man approached. His white shirt clung to his massive chest. As he stood over her, his amber eyes bored holes into her. He was beautiful. Even his skin, although pale, was flawless. She felt excited and drawn to him but at the same time freightned.

Emmett noticed that her eyes darted from him, quickly scanning her surroundings. Was she afraid of him?Sometimes he really wished he possesd Edwards gift.

"Sure," she finally answered him seeming more relaxed. "I don't know what's wrong with it," she said. "Never had a problem with it before."

Gazing up at him, Emmett noticed that drops of rain were collecting on her long eyelashes causing her to flutter and bat those gorgeous moss green eyes. God she was beautiful, Emmet thought.

"And for some reason," she continued, "I can't get the damn lid open," she mumbled the last part between clenched teeth brfore slamming a fist down on top of it.

Emmett couldn't help but to chuckle. "Here, let me see." He inhaled sharply, holding his breath as he moved closer to her.

"Do you have anything we could pry it open with?" He asked. Sure, he could just rip the lid off with his strength, but he couldn't give away his secret.

"Let me look," she replied and went to check the bed of the truck.

Emmett quickly renched the hood open. "Got it!" he hollared just as she was about to climb into the truck bed.

"And here's your problem," he pointed out as she rounded the front of the truck. "Spark plug's a little loose." Tightening it back in, he told her to try starting it up again.

The truck roared to life. Jumping back out of the car Jaqueline grabbed Emmett into a hug. "Thank you so much," she smiled.

Breathing in her scent, Emmett knew his eyes were turning black. Suddenly he stiffened and loosened his grip on her. He had to get out of here.

Feeling Emmett go rigid in her arms she quickly released him. Blushing as she looked down. "I'm sorry," she paused, "I don't usually hug strangers."

"Hey, it's ok." While she was still looking down, he turned to go. "And the name's Emmett."

She looked up, getting ready to tell him her's, but he was gone.

Jackie climbed back into the truck. Sighing, she rolled her eyes. She was sure she had just scared off the hottest guy she had ever laid eyes on. Not too mention, this was a small town and he would probably tell everyone how some strange chick had hugged him.

"Are you okay, Mommy?" Sofia asked.

"Yeah baby," Jackie answered. She needed to get her mind off her embarrassment. "Who wants pizza?"

***
Emmett flashed into the Cullen house and angrily stormed up to Alice.

"How'd it go?" she smiled.

"Horrible!" he yelled at her.

"Well, you met her, didn't you?" Alice asked.

"Well, yes. But..." Emmett trailed off.

"And she gave you a hug, right?" Alice interrupted.

"Yes! But..." Emmett paused. This had been her plan all along. She had already seen everything in one of her visions.

"Sounds like you had a pretty good time to me then," she laughed as she skipped up the stairs in search of
Jasper.

"I don't know how you do it Ed," Emmett frowned as Edward walked into the room. "When she hugged me, I thought I was going to sink my teeth into her. I haven't had human blood in years," he commented.

"I promise," Edward began, "it does get easier. "

"What gets easier?" Rosalie questioned as she walked into the Cullen house.